Lemonade takes stand on gun control; won’t pay more than $2,500 for firearms damage or theft

sagent

I tried to post on the post but it was an endless redirect login loop.

I'm guessing either Lemonade wasn't really serious about the Texas market or didn't really put much thought into the whole anyone with $2500+ in firearms is an unwelcome vigilante

Hunting is a huge deal is much of the country and it doesn't take much between large game and bird hunting to exceed the "vigilante" gun value limit. And that doesn't even factor anything related to self-defense.

Where I come from, much of my community banks on deer season to fill the freezer for the year. Pretty much the same thing most of our forefathers used guns for before we had a ranching industry and grocery stores on every corner.

Over 14 Million Americans identify themselves as avid hunters according to the U.S. Census. Regardless, if they all have $2,500 in guns, they certainly know someone who does they wouldn't classify as a vigilante or identify in the same class as a mass murderer.

Well done Mr. Schreiber. I'm sure your new policy went over swimmingly in your personal circle in New York. Elsewhere, I'm guessing it will fare on par to some of Roger Goodell's recent comments.

I saw this being discussed elsewhere. Pretty funny.

1. Most Americans don't live in rural areas. Now, you didn't say if you were in a rural area, but I guessing so if people count on hunting for sustenance. Sadly, this article doesn't define rural versus urban which could move the numbers some.
New Census Data Show Differences Between Urban and Rural Populations

2. Lemonade never really was after that market anyway. Their appeal to date was to the urbanite, millennial who is glued to their phone. That will evolve, but not their market right now.

3. This is getting them tons of free publicity, which was the real goal. More people are talking about them and those that were likely to try them aren't really deterred by this.

I live in Texas. Maybe an exception, but the number of people that identify themselves as hunters in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio far outnumber the rural areas. Many of the young people that have jobs in the big city grew up in the less populated areas.

Lemonade hasn't gotten $60M in funding to offer renters coverage in urban areas. The big picture they are pitching is clearly a much larger scale. Just because they are only focusing on urban millennials right now doesn't mean that encompasses the whole business model.

Regardless of the short term pub, this will go down as a mistake in the long run. As a person that grew up hunting with more than $2500 in fire arms (used responsibly for hunting) when I rented in a big Texas city after graduating from college, I would never do business with the company after that statement.

It was clearly rushed as evidence by the terminology and vague coverage references. Assault rifles aren't a category of firearm. The use of coverage terms like "stored securely" and "used responsibly" mean nothing without additional detail.

$2500 for guns is typical for a renters policy, so this is nothing special about having this limitation. What is bizarre is a company pushing politics on the people. There is failure written all over this, the online model does not work and when you have a CEO who cannot contain himself with his politics, this company is dead on arrival. Also what serious company would call themselves "Lemonade," this company is shooting itself in the foot, literally.

Back