Let's Play, What Would You Do?

Chazm

Guru
5000 Post Club
Orlando
Hi all, I have been working with Great American in the Senior Benefits division since February 2009 and this was my first time in insurance. I am not captive with GA, we write for many different companies which I do like.

There are a couple of drawbacks. 1) is the commission isn't a high as I hear on this site for indy agents (though it's higher than some I hear on here) and 2) I have to drive about 85 miles each way to work and thats if I have no appointments that day. I am avg. about 1k miles a week since driving there. There are a few good things about working there though. One, I get a lot of training, not just product training but closing techniques and prospecting. Right now we have a class once a week dedicated to just learning about 401k's and how they work so we can better understand them and how to put these clients into an annuity. Two, I like everyone in this office and add the fact that I get to use an office, ie phones, fax, copies.

Here's the dilemma. Today I was speaking to an old colleague that's has a small office that he sells P&C out of. His wife sells health only from home but doesn't really prospect for it. I told him my commission and he was shocked at what I told him, coupled with the fact that I was driving 1.5 hours just to get to work, he thought I was crazy. He offered to meet with me next week to see if we could try to work something out, or atleast he could point me in the right direction. He mentioned that his wife gets around 20% for individual health and I told him that if I did something with him I would want to include med supps, life, LTC, HHC and annuities and he said no problem. The only problem I see is, if I were to leave my company (which I really don't want to but I absolutely hate the drive) I believe I will lose all my clients that I have. I don't mind losing them but I will mind losing the $5k that I still have left owed to me.

So, my question is....if you were in my position what would you do? And what would you expect his over ride to be...he even mentioned that he thinks 5% is robbery for individual health and I am currently giving up roughly 13%.

Oh and he said he has an office that he doesn't work out of much at all and I could use it. I am assuming he would want a small over ride but much much much less than I am giving up now.

"Two, I like everyone in this office and add the fact that I get to use an office, ie phones, fax, copies."
===============================================

Right now your insurance business is built on a 3 legged foundation just waiting for someone to come along and kick one of those legs out from under you. That my friend is insurance 101. You need to get out on your own the only question is are you ready?

Back