Let's Talk Cold Calling

lynno

I have been in the business for a year now. I love what I do and I love the people I work with and for. I am a captive agent with a book of clients given to me through the company. The book has worked well for me and I have built a good relationship with the majority of my clients. But now it is time to hit the streets and go door to door.

Going to someone's door and trying to get them to talk to me isn't something that is generally easy in today's world. Any suggestions are quite welcomed.

Looking for tips, suggestions and stories from other agents. Things they have encountered while knocking on doors, and the do's and don'ts of doing it.

I never knocked on doors, just used the phone to cold call to get an appointment and bring a mentor. IMO, those that cold call effectively and can stick with it are the real warriors, it is TOUGH. I've never met a person that was good at cold calling ever flunk out of the business.

Going to someone's door and trying to get them to talk to me isn't something that is generally easy in today's world. Any suggestions are quite welcomed.

The hardest part of going B2B is opening up the car door to get out! I used to go B2B for about a year until I found ut about a marvelous invention called the "telephone." That little gadget has saved me more time and energy versus any nice pair of shoes. Now my hardest part is picking up the telephone and start calling. As was the case with B2B or telemarketing ....after 15-20 or so pitches you get into your groove.

Rules of Engagement
1. Be polite
2. Smile
3. Respect the fact that you have interrupted the owner.
4. Be direct in your pitch and ask for a yes or no.
5. Leave a flyer to keep the door open
6. Track your progress via business cards, doors knocked, offers, rejections, etc.

Looking for tips, suggestions and stories from other agents. Things they have encountered while knocking on doors, and the do's and don'ts of doing it.[/quote]

Are you talking Residential Walking?

Yup, talking residential. I love walking the streets and meeting people. I went into the projects in our area a few weeks ago and had some success, or was it luck?

I sold some policies in a convenience store once, and I have gone into some trailer parks.

I hate talking on the phone. It is easier to get someone to let you into the house because you put them on the spot by just showing up.

But once in awhile I get a rude person, and it is those rude people who put a bit of discouragement into my day. But I have to keep on trucking.

Yup, talking residential. I love walking the streets and meeting people. I went into the projects in our area a few weeks ago and had some success, or was it luck?

I sold some policies in a convenience store once, and I have gone into some trailer parks.

I hate talking on the phone. It is easier to get someone to let you into the house because you put them on the spot by just showing up.

But once in awhile I get a rude person, and it is those rude people who put a bit of discouragement into my day. But I have to keep on trucking.

What are you selling? Trailerparks, convenience stores, and the projects??

What are you selling? Trailerparks, convenience stores, and the projects??

Very good question... and also, are you getting advances on the products you are selling? I would be careful with that situation.....

With a book of business given to you and knocking on doors it sounds like you are working for a debit company selling life and fire insurance. Is that what you are doing?

I used to knock on doors in the projects until this day........ I walked up on theis kinda raggedy house, I was a bit nervous. Well a nice lookin lady answered the door, she was prolly 55. We sat at the table, I did my presentation, and she decided to buy because I could save her $200 or so a month. I started filing out the app and got to the sex question. She winked and said " well I have a male part but I am tranforming to a woman". WOW was I shocked. Well anyway, I had to give her the male rate, which was $40 higher. This SHEMAN or whatever picked up my book and through it at my head and started swingin full force at me. I pushed her/him down and ran for the door, ( I was leaving my book behind) all of the sudden she starts pullin on my leg.......kinda like I'm pullin on yours now....haha

I used to knock on doors in the projects until this day........ I walked up on theis kinda raggedy house, I was a bit nervous. Well a nice lookin lady answered the door, she was prolly 55. We sat at the table, I did my presentation, and she decided to buy because I could save her $200 or so a month. I started filing out the app and got to the sex question. She winked and said " well I have a male part but I am tranforming to a woman". WOW was I shocked. Well anyway, I had to give her the male rate, which was $40 higher. This SHEMAN or whatever picked up my book and through it at my head and started swingin full force at me. I pushed her/him down and ran for the door, ( I was leaving my book behind) all of the sudden she starts pullin on my leg.......kinda like I'm pullin on yours now....haha

Yea well isn't this the second or third time for this story???:D

Back