Let's Talk Penetration, how Small is Too Small?

MEDICARE ADVANTAGE PENETRATION RATE THAT IS!!

What size of a population in a given county is too small to mail. I find penetration rates under 5% but the population is less than 5k. Are these small pockets worth mailing?
Does anyone have any experience mailing or telemarketing these rural areas?

Thank you for any insight:D

It's not the size that matters, so I've heard.

But seriously..... you have one piece of mail going to one home. Where or what else surrounds that home is irrelevant. I don't think they will stop to think about how large the population is in their county before deciding on if they will send the card back in or not.

On the other hand..... in a small area you may have a well established agent that everyone knows already. So when you cause them to think about insurance they will think..."Yea, we need to call Bubba's Insurance."

On yet another hand.....other agents may be thinking the same thing and not mailing there for the same reason...thinking it's too small. So you'd have much less competition.

Soo...hmmmmm.....what I would do is go do some cold door knocking and when the lady of the house answers, ask..."Do you think it's big enough?"

Last edited:
MEDICARE ADVANTAGE PENETRATION RATE THAT IS!!

What size of a population in a given county is too small to mail. I find penetration rates under 5% but the population is less than 5k. Are these small pockets worth mailing?
Does anyone have any experience mailing or telemarketing these rural areas?

Thank you for any insight:D

It will really only matter how many of that 5K fits your demographics. Let's say that, out of the 5K, there were 300 that fit the demographics. I would do a drop to those 300 and mail the other 700 to another zip/county. (If you have to complete a 1000 piece drop).

I don't see that it could hurt. You get in with the right peron(s) there and you could have a little goldmine.

One of the advantages of a very small county may be a function that you actually asked the question. Perhaps other agents have avoided mailing there due to the size.

I test DM all the time. If you do what everyone else does you'll just be a sheep. (Like the democraps and republitards).

Rick

MEDICARE ADVANTAGE PENETRATION RATE THAT IS!! What size of a population in a given county is too small to mail. I find penetration rates under 5% but the population is less than 5k. Are these small pockets worth mailing? Does anyone have any experience mailing or telemarketing these rural areas? Thank you for any insight:D

You probably want to avoid telemarketing for MA. Just a thought.

Back