Level Funding (Partial Self Funding) For Groups Down to 5 Employees

Jun 4, 2018

1. AnnaW

AnnaW New Member

We have Aetna, NGBS in my market. Humana and Allsavers are 10+. Would like some options for 5+ employee groups with stop loss carriers/TPA's to look at.

Thanks

AnnaW, Jun 4, 2018
  2. Benefits Guy

Benefits Guy New Member

Starmark (Trustmark) claims they can go down to 5, but I'd be really apprehensive about going self-funded (ok, partially self-funded) with a group that small even if it is level funded. They're in most states, but not all. You'd have to check with them.

3. leevena

leevena Guru

Would be interested in knowing why you are hesitant. At what size group would you be comfortable with level funding? Thanks

leevena, Jun 27, 2018
  4. Benefits Guy

Benefits Guy New Member

Depends on the group. But a group that size has to really convince me that they're financially stable enough and understand the commitment to going level-funded. It's really not so much the concentration of risk over so few lives as long as their contract protects them from shortages at the end of the contract period. They can always revert back to fully insured if their claims are too high. My chief concern is them dropping the plan mid-year (financial hardship, business closure, or just plain flakiness, etc.) and retroactively voiding their stop-loss, which is the way the Starmark contracts work.

5. rcduggan

rcduggan Super Genius

State:
    California
    less than 10 is not cost-effective, period.

rcduggan, Oct 26, 2018
  6. leevena

leevena Guru

Can you be a little more specific as to why you believe it is not cost effective. Are you referring to the carrier or the client? Thank you.

leevena, Oct 26, 2018