Lexapro / Depression & Life underwriting

schealthagent

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have a client who is looking for a life policy. Two years ago she started taking lexapro due to depression brought on by a nasty divorce. She is doing great and doesnt want to stop taking it because "it aint broke." She also takes 1mg of ativan every night to help get to sleep. Other than that, she is in great health (5'3" 110 lbs. ns etc.) Any ideas on what potential rating class she might fall into, or what companies might not penalize her at all?

Thanks!

I have a client who is looking for a life policy. Two years ago she started taking lexapro due to depression brought on by a nasty divorce. She is doing great and doesnt want to stop taking it because "it aint broke." She also takes 1mg of ativan every night to help get to sleep. Other than that, she is in great health (5'3" 110 lbs. ns etc.) Any ideas on what potential rating class she might fall into, or what companies might not penalize her at all?

Thanks!

I recently wrote a case where the lady is under similar conditions. Taking Synthroid, Lexapro & Wellbutrin (5' 5" 176lbs). Taking all meds less than a year. Issued Preferred Non-Tobacco with Genworth.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I will quote her preferred and std plus to be safe. The Genworth scenario is encouraging because that woman was barely in the preferred category weight wise.

Thanks again.

Lexapro may contribute to weight gain. Of all antidepressants, Wellbutrin (bupropion) has the most potency to promote weight loss. You may discuss with your doctor if you will benefit from antidepressantscomparison.com

I would quote her standard and let the underwriter decide. Most carriers (not all) will issue on best rating if it is fully underwritten. I usually submit standard if I suspect it will be standard; and I doubt you will get preferred with this case. If in the event you DO get a preferred, then you look like a hero delivering good news. If you quote preferred and get rated standard, that message will be a little harder to swallow.

I would quote her standard and let the underwriter decide. Most carriers (not all) will issue on best rating if it is fully underwritten. I usually submit standard if I suspect it will be standard; and I doubt you will get preferred with this case. If in the event you DO get a preferred, then you look like a hero delivering good news. If you quote preferred and get rated standard, that message will be a little harder to swallow.

YIKES! Not the very best advice IMO. I'd bet you would lose a lot of cases in the long term to other agents, if you didn't correctly field underwrite and quote the best possible rate. If you are unsure, and bordering a rate class, then inform the client that you will submit the application as [insert rate], but depending on how they underwrite [insert diagnosis here] the rate may come back at[insert worst case].

Of course, it's always better to know the guidelines and ratings by heart, though as a new agent myself, I know that takes a lot of experience and even more attention to underwriting changes.

Back