Lexis Nexis Report - At-Fault Accidents Not Showing

toonz72

In early 2012 I had two accidents that I was both liable for: One was a very minor rear end but the other was more significant with 10k for property damage total and about 3k paid to the other parties for minor BI. Like I said I was AF for both occurrences. I switched to another insurance company last summer but the LexisNexis clue report only showed one minor traffic violation in 2011. Both accidents DID NOT appear. Without providing too much detail, I told the agent that I "thought" I had a few accidents. She said nothing was listed related to that. I ended up getting an excellent rate and switched over. My renewal just came up this month and the rates went down even further as that one ticket dropped off and I received a "good driver" discount. Still nothing related to those accidents showed up on the Lexis report (which I can access on my insurance company's website.)
Last month I was curious so I got a quote from GEICO, and sure enough the accidents showed up. They quoted me a rate three times what I'm currently paying.
My presumption is that those accidents will clue with any other carrier, but why did the Lexis report not have them listed? Do insurance companies use different verification companies? Anyway, not complaining, just very curious ... because those accidents are not listed I am getting an insanely good premium.

Last edited:
I'm familiar only with Choicepoint, as a vendor for clue/mvr, and I have not heard of LexisNexis. If either accident involved a dmv or police report, it would show up on your MVR, which should not differ among vendors.

It's possible you simply had lucky timing, from early 2012 when you had the accidents, to when you switched companies that summer, with CLUE not being updated yet.

Which auto insurance company insures you?

I'm familiar only with Choicepoint, as a vendor for clue/mvr, and I have not heard of LexisNexis. If either accident involved a dmv or police report, it would show up on your MVR, which should not differ among vendors.

It's possible you simply had lucky timing, from early 2012 when you had the accidents, to when you switched companies that summer, with CLUE not being updated yet.

Which auto insurance company insures you?

Choicepoint became part of LexisNexis as of 2008. The weird thing is that I also received a quote from The General Insurance and those two accidents also showed up...they showed up about two months after they occurred. A few weeks later I received the esurance quote (they use LexisNexis) and they didnt show up at all. When I got my renewal this month they still didnt show up. I totally lucked out I guess !!

Last edited:
a few companies dont run that report,just MVR, you can have an accident without a ticket.

and stop hitting people

So some insurance companies use only MVR? Wouldn't the accidents also show up on an MVR? Its so confusing. All I know is that esurance uses LexisNexis and it doesn't show up... strange.

So some insurance companies use only MVR? Wouldn't the accidents also show up on an MVR? Its so confusing. All I know is that esurance uses LexisNexis and it doesn't show up... strange.

If there was no dmv or police report filed, it would not be on the MVR. They wouldn't run CLUE at renewal, as a matter of course.

Esurance probably made a mistake somehow in your favor when processing you as new business. Thanks for the info on Choicepoint/LexisNexis.

MVR looks for tickets

CLUE reports are losses, any claims, comp, towing, glass, crashes etc. two entirely different things.

Accidents reported to the police or DMV show up on the MVR. There are no details regarding fault, circumstances, or payout, other than involvement in an accident. Though, maybe this is not the case in all states? I would see it all the time in many states.

Accidents reported to the police or DMV show up on the MVR. There are no details regarding fault, circumstances, or payout, other than involvement in an accident. Though, maybe this is not the case in all states? I would see it all the time in many states.

you really wanna argue and figure out who's is bigger?
probaly varies by state,

and a vast number of accidents arent reported to the policy.

stop argueing:swoon:

you really wanna argue and figure out who's is bigger?
probaly varies by state,

and a vast number of accidents arent reported to the policy.

stop argueing:swoon:

I'm not correcting you simply to argue, or to prove I'm better than you. It's important for agents to know accidents can show up on mvrs, and it's not likely to vary by state. If a police report, or accident report is placed with the DMV, it shows up on your MVR.

Here is why knowing this is important: If an accident shows up on a MVR, and also CLUE -whether it's at fault or not at fault -- it doesn't matter much. But, if the accident shows up only on the MVR, there will be no documentation to prove whether it's at fault or not.

For example, if an applicant was rear ended by another party, there was enough damage requiring an accident report to be filed, and the applicant filed the claim and was paid by the at-fault party's insurance company, the accident will show on the applicant's mvr, but not the CLUE. A claims experience letter (CEL) usually will be required to document the accident as not-at-fault.

A good quoting system may flag you when a CEL is needed, whether the data is coming from the MVR or CLUE, but an agent unaware accidents show up on the MVR, may be confused why a CEL is required when the CLUE is clear.

A quoting system more reliant on agent knowledge, could easily lead to a policy being issued at a much higher rate, when the not-at-fault accident is rated as an at fault accident, without the CEL.

Knowing the information provided on the CLUE, CBR, prior carrier report, & MVR, and how they work, has helped me to sometimes get customers a better rate, make a sale, or avoid problems.

Big Red, you can keep going on about MVRs providing information on tickets only, but that would be pointless arguing, not adding anything new to the conversation. You don't want to argue, do you?

Last edited:
Back