Liability coverage

JIM PARRISH

I have liability coverage of 250,000 / 500,000 / 100,000
I was in an accident and I'm being sued. There was only one person in the other car. The medical bills are already at $150,000 not including pain and suffering. My question is, liability coverage per person is $250,000 and $500,000 per accident. Since there was only one person in the car does the maximum coverage stop at $250,000? or does it go up to the $500,000?
Thanks

Keep your carrier informed, forward any and all documents which come your way, any phone calls should be advised to call your claims department with the claim number. That is what you have been paying for. I am surprised that you are aware of the current mounting cost. Many insurers would not share that information with you other than to say they are handling the claim. Do not get involved in any phone conversation with the claimant or claimant's attorney. How is your Umbrella coverage?

Yes, I have been served a summons, had a 2 hour video deposition. I am told they are interviewing doctors and first responders and possibly some type of accident recreation. The accident was almost 3 years ago. I was turning left at a large intersection with traffic lights. The light turned to yellow The vehicle in front of me, also in the turn lane was able to clear the intersection. The light turned to red and I could see oncoming traffic was stopping. I attempted to turn and was struck by an oncoming vehicle that ran the red light. Unfortunately the driver of the other vehicle was hurt. ( not permanent or life threatening injury ) The police report states that the driver did not recall what happened. The attorney ( representing State Farm and me ) told me that in the deposition the driver also stated they did not recall what had happened. There were no tickets issued. This has been weighing on me for a long time and I'm concerned that this could cost me everything I have. State Farm has not made an offer to settle the case.
I had no umbrella policy at the time. I do now.

What has State Farm advised you to do? It is unfortunate that society now views an auto accident as a means to easy street.

If they ran the red light have you counter sued?
He turned in front of the vehicle after the light changed. Did not clear the intersection. Doubt that any cop would write up the person in the travel lane who had a vehicle appear before him and the 'victim' doesn't remember anything

Of course he doesn't remember anything. He's been coached not to. Any time you hit somebody making a left turn in front of you it's a slam dunk bonanza because the left turner failed to yield. He is wise to say nothing about what he was doing.

An exception is when the vehicle going straight runs the red light. Trouble is, without witnesses to that, the left turner's assertion is given no credibility because it's biased and self serving.

State Farm has not made an offer to settle the case.

And probably won't, until the other driver is fully recovered or has reached maximum medical improvement. Or, if that has occurred, not until receiving a demand from the claimant's attorney.

Back