Liability Question

mplsmm

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
So if my insured, ok not my insured but a friend just got married and a few weeks after the wedding, at her vacation spot, her hubby gets drunk and pushes another drunk and he hits his head and dies, will defense costs be covered? I know if they had the umbrella it would, but regular old liability? Her company is western if it makes a difference.

It should..liability covers defense costs. But refer to the policy to be sure there may be an exclusion.

From my experiences seeing exclusions for intentional acts & based off this situation...I can't say either way. What a tragedy though.

It is a horrible thing. The irony is they got a hot tub and new fire pit and her house was becoming an after hours hangout. I was worried about liability and had been pushing her to get an umbrella. I was worried about a slip and fall or something like that, never in a million years did I think this would happen. She kind of brushed it off, her friends wouldn't sue, it never got wild, she couldn't swing $100 or whatever a year. I have not told her and never will that the umbrella would have covered his defense. No use crying over spilt milk.

Defense would be covered if Western decides to defend the claim. Of course, they can also decide to try to settle it. It's their money - their option.

The thing I always look for is whether those defense costs are PART OF the liability limit, or in ADDITION TO the limit on the dec page. Same goes for Umbrella.

Update, they are saying it was intentional. So my friend says what was intentional, the push or death? The police did not charge him with intent, just manslaughter now. And there is a clause she has to use their lawyer. So the battle goes.

Back