Liberty Mutual Says Job Descr Required Bachelors Degree

insurancemet

Guru
100+ Post Club
Curious if that's always the case.. Also are they more like a 9 to 5 job where you have to report on a daily basis and be at the office all day? Anyone know their rates in Northern Ca as far as being competitive? How about their life products? Training good? Are they more selective in who they hire compare to most? How are they compare to Nationwide? As far as rates, products, training? Thanks.

Because they do offer a good salary and benefits, they're absolutely going to want to hire folks that have the qualifications they think are most likely to make a successful employee. If they say they want a degree, they probably want a degree.

Any carrier is going to be up and down on rates depending on a number of factors, but they're generally competitive. You could always call up a local liberty agent and ask them what their take on the situation is.

To hit on the earlier point again, because they're paying well, they're going to be much more selective than the "can fog a mirror" qualifications many recruiters look for.

I've heard the base is forever...is this not correct?

This is a quote from their advertisement for a sales opening.

Unlike other insurance companies, you have no out of pocket expenses. We offer mileage reimbursement, complementary marketing materials, office space, laptop, paid training PLUS we sponsor your license exams and health benefits day one!

This position offers a guaranteed base salary plus unlimited commissions along with quarterly and annual bonus opportunities. First year average earnings between 55K - 60K. Health benefits day one. Company sponsored pension along with 401k.
AVERAGE 1-2 YEAR EARNINGS: $72K!!! ABILITY TO EARN A SIX FIGURE INCOME!!!

Last edited:
That's what I thought Josh. I've heard great things about training...not so great things on renewals. That's just third party knowledge though.

The base continues to drop to about $12-$15k by year 4. They prefer those with degrees but will consider those with outside sales experience. LM has a very particular candidate they cater to as they want their reps to be able to tap into their "niche" market. I was in their manager training program before setting up my indy agency and learned a lot.

The avg. income they present in the ads are accurate but it is much more a corporate atmosphere than a tradtional sales office. And you can be 20 years in and not hit your quota and be fired. With 1% renewals you will constantly be hunting new business which was what I didn't like. Great place to start with no overhead and to get good training though.

Yes the base is always guaranteed, but does bottom out year 4 at $15,000 but by then you probably have another $20k a year in renewals. At least that is where I'm at after about 4 years with the company. It's still only$35k which is nothing and I don't like the fact that if I stay my whole career I'm going to be hunting for new biz until the day I retire.
Also, the non compete makes it harder to just leave and go work on the Indy side. I've been trying to find a way to transition for a while now but just can't seem to do it.

The base continues to drop to about $12-$15k by year 4. They prefer those with degrees but will consider those with outside sales experience. LM has a very particular candidate they cater to as they want their reps to be able to tap into their "niche" market. I was in their manager training program before setting up my indy agency and learned a lot.

The avg. income they present in the ads are accurate but it is much more a corporate atmosphere than a tradtional sales office. And you can be 20 years in and not hit your quota and be fired. With 1% renewals you will constantly be hunting new business which was what I didn't like. Great place to start with no overhead and to get good training though.

What is there "niche?"

Back