Liberty National Life Insurance

Anyone heard of or do business with them? Any current agents?? I'm supposed to be starting with them on Monday here in Jacksonville, FL. Seem to have pretty good products, just looking for some feed back from anyone who's work with them before or has any knowledge about them to share. Thanks in advance.

Anyone heard of or do business with them? Any current agents?? I'm supposed to be starting with them on Monday here in Jacksonville, FL. Seem to have pretty good products, just looking for some feed back from anyone who's work with them before or has any knowledge about them to share. Thanks in advance.

Do a forum search for them - you will see plenty!

Wow... I've read some horror stories and seen some promising things as well. Is there anyone here that's currently with them or spent more than a few months with them. Most of the other posts are fairly old and I'm looking to gain recent agent experiences with Liberty National. I will admit that reading that some agents left owing the company money really scares me. I'm green... just got licensed in Sept and this would potentially be my first insurance gig. I'm looking to make the right decision as I've been out of work for the past 6 months and in desperate need of a pay check. I do not need more problems in the form of an employer that should make life better at this point. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Wow... I've read some horror stories and seen some promising things as well. Is there anyone here that's currently with them or spent more than a few months with them. Most of the other posts are fairly old and I'm looking to gain recent agent experiences with Liberty National. I will admit that reading that some agents left owing the company money really scares me. I'm green... just got licensed in Sept and this would potentially be my first insurance gig. I'm looking to make the right decision as I've been out of work for the past 6 months and in desperate need of a pay check. I do not need more problems in the form of an employer that should make life better at this point. PLEASE HELP!

What do you want to sell? Life? Health? Final Expense?
If you need a paycheck - go with a national company as a captive/career agent and get the training and a small stipend to star plus commission. You will be paid a lot less commission in the beginning while you go through the training - but you will get $$. Try MassMutual or something like that. MOO will not offer a salary.

I figured that I'd want to start with Life and Health since it's something that everyone needs and could relate to. I've gone through the process with New York Life but due to some outstanding collections on my credit report they want me to sign up with this debt consolidation lawyer and pay the retainer which is like $800 to prove that I'm in the process of taking care of that responsibility. That's actually the only reason that I haven't started earlier. I've actually been applying to other jobs in my field just to try and raise the money to pay the lawyer's retainer so that I could start with NYLife. However... as I mentioned I've been licensed since Sept so that kind of tells you how the job market is here in Jacksonville. I'm just tired of waiting and the LibNat opportunity came up as I figured that I'm licensed and just maybe there's another company out there that wouldn't put a new agent through the rig-a-ma-row that NYLife has put me through. I just don't want to get locked into a potentially bad situation.

Last edited:
Something you might want to consider...

NYL is concerned about your past debts and collection attempts. They want to see some action on your part to resolve the matter. NYL is a very reputable, well established company in the insurance industry.

Now, here stands Liberty National ready to bring you on, they don't even care about your past credit. Doesn't that set off some warning bells in your head? Have they offered or told you about a manager's position yet?

The reason NYL and most companies care about credit, is that it can be indicative of future problems. People with bad credit are more likely to commit fraud or other monetary crimes. Insurance is a field rife with opportunities to steal. Also, if you haven't paid your past lenders, they are afraid you won't pay back any advances you might owe. Yet, Liberty National doesn't seem to care. Do you hear any alarms yet?

Something you might want to consider...

NYL is concerned about your past debts and collection attempts. They want to see some action on your part to resolve the matter. NYL is a very reputable, well established company in the insurance industry.

Now, here stands Liberty National ready to bring you on, they don't even care about your past credit. Doesn't that set off some warning bells in your head? Have they offered or told you about a manager's position yet?

The reason NYL and most companies care about credit, is that it can be indicative of future problems. People with bad credit are more likely to commit fraud or other monetary crimes. Insurance is a field rife with opportunities to steal. Also, if you haven't paid your past lenders, they are afraid you won't pay back any advances you might owe. Yet, Liberty National doesn't seem to care. Do you hear any alarms yet?

Point taken and trust me when I say that I'm very aware of this. However... I've been out of work in my previous field (IT) for 6 months now. Being recently divorced some debt was accumulated and I just haven't had the funds to take care of or start a payment plan with the debtors. I'm honestly trying to do the right thing. I guess I'm in a catch 22 situation here. It's gotten to the point to where I've applied and been on numerous interviews for IT positions just to get a couple of check under my belt to take care of some of the debts and get back to pursuing the NY Life opportunity. The problem is that it's the end of the year... a time that companies typically don't bring on new people (for tax purposes) I'm sure that when the new year hits that I'd be able to pull a W2'd 9-5 again. I was really just trying to make something happen before then since I've been out of work for so long. Just frustrated and tired of waiting for something to happen.

Have you tried any other companies other than NYL and Liberty National? I did a phone interview with a Liberty National "Manager" and heard several alarming things that led me to do a search on Rip-off Report. There aren't many complaints from customers, but there are PAGES of rip-off reports from former agents and employees. I called my local AGLA office and got a very different feeling from the managers, and am scheduled to start with them in 2 weeks. Paid training for 17 weeks, and they are even starting me the week of New Years so that I can attend the new agent school in January. Maybe there are some other options for you to check out?

I'm not a fan of LNL.

I recently replaced one of their whole life policies. Honestly, it was very competitive, with good guaranteed CSV.

I think they were selling term with another company, it was not horrible but I was able to easily beat it.

But it's not just about having the cheapest or best performing policy. If they have a good manager who can teach you the industry, teach you how to sell, how to do the right thing for the client, and how to prospect, then it could be a good deal.

I know a handful of current and former LNL agents who have made very good money, had good benefits, and won lots of nice trips.

I have seen many agents go into a career type company, learn a little, and then think they are ready to be on their own. Most were not!

Having a good manager, decent training, and a supportive environment is important.

Having said all that, I do enjoy replacing LNL policies.

I'm not a fan of LNL.

I recently replaced one of their whole life policies. Honestly, it was very competitive, with good guaranteed CSV.

I think they were selling term with another company, it was not horrible but I was able to easily beat it.

But it's not just about having the cheapest or best performing policy. If they have a good manager who can teach you the industry, teach you how to sell, how to do the right thing for the client, and how to prospect, then it could be a good deal.

I know a handful of current and former LNL agents who have made very good money, had good benefits, and won lots of nice trips.

I have seen many agents go into a career type company, learn a little, and then think they are ready to be on their own. Most were not!

Having a good manager, decent training, and a supportive environment is important.

Having said all that, I do enjoy replacing LNL policies.

Thanks guys... I really do appreciate the feed back. What you say makes a lot of sense. I did get a good vibe from the manager. He's been in the industry for for 4 years (first 2 with another company). He said that he had narrowed his choices down to NYLife and LibNat and even though NYLife had the paid training and salary for a short period he opted to go with NatLife due to the quickness that he could move up to a manager position. He also added that earlier this year he went through some major cuts at his branch due to previous agents writing bad business and some other things going on so this would be like me coming in on the ground floor as he only has one manager under him and that manager has 5 agents under him. Honestly, I did get a good vibe from the manager and the company has been in business for many years.

I haven't tried any other companies. I was hell bent on doing what was required by NYLife being they are a great company to work for IMO but the time that it's taking me to jump through the hoops they are asking is killing me. As said earlier, I was honestly just looking for something to give me some income so that I could handle some of my debts and then proceed with NY Life but if an insurance opportunity came up in the mean time in which I could learn the business and earn some decent coin I'd be willing to stay for the long term.

Last edited:
Back