Liberty National or American General?

jarrodn82

I am newly licensed and have job offers from both and really don't know which way to go leaning toward American General. I've heard bad things about Liberty National. Can someone give me some advice...thanks..

I'm located in Alabama by the way if that helps

Last edited:
Even though Torchmark has some main offices in Alabama, if I had the choice of the two, there would be no question.

I would take American General - brand name recognition, superior financials (even though there have been some corrections), instant credibility, superior products and you can also have the peace of mind knowing you are providing your customers with solid products.

If I am not mistaken, Liberty sells supplemental insurance of some kind.

Of the two, American General...hands down. Whenever a Torchmark company is involved...ALWAYS...pick the other company. But AG happens to be a solid choice.

I am newly licensed and have job offers from both and really don't know which way to go leaning toward American General. I've heard bad things about Liberty National. Can someone give me some advice...thanks.. I'm located in Alabama by the way if that helps

You are leaning the right direction between the two!

I know that AG is probably the better choice but I have a friend who has been with Liberty for about 4 months and he is doing great. The AG office I would be working out of is struggling a little bit at the time which makes the decision a little harder for me...

I have worked for both. AGLA hands down, no question. You can go to LibNat and if you don't like it you can leave and come back... HOWEVER, you cannot come back to AGLA once you leave. I am not eligible for re-hire at AGLA. However, I could go back to LibNat, probably. { have to be in good standing and such, owe zero money, so on}

Be very careful taking advances from any company. Be careful getting advanced several hundred bucks on each sale. If the sale falls through for any reason, you owe it back. I have heard of agents leaving companies- owing thousands of dollars. Not singling out any of the above companies, just warning newbies about insurance companies in general. { and agencies}

If you are trying to equally compare these two companies it can not be done. This is like waking up one morning and having an InfinitG35 and Kia Spectra, and you chose which one you prefer. I know several people that work for Liberty National and do very well both run their own LNL branch and are very prosperous but they also love recruiting so...

You must decide which business plan do you prefer, AG or LNL? Try LNL, worse case scenario if you fail, start selling life and health on-line asap. I do not think you will get a clear cut awnser on here, just go with your gut feeling. Do you trust your manager that will be trainning you?

I agree that the happiest folks with LibNat : run branches.
However, I have also met some who have failed at running a branch: they magically go away. There is turnover in the management -and agents. But, there is turnover everywhere. Some insurance companies have more turnover-than others.

If an agent choses Liberty National, the most ideal situtation would be for them to start at a branch that is "fairly new". If you start with a branch that is fairly new, your chances of succeeding with the company are much greater than with a branch that has been around for a little while. This is what I am told anyway by a Regional Manager with LNL. However as we know every branch is different.

Actually Magagent there is not even a branch here there is 1 guy (my friend) who used to work for Nationwide and he is trying to get a branch started where I live and wants me to come work with him(under him). I like LNL marketing plan plus the fact that they offer the potential customer a free 1 year accident plan just to get face to face with them. I think I may go with Liberty...:embarrassed:

Back