License being processed/IMO Commission rates/Med Sup - FE

Are you self driven? Coachable? Have good money management skills? Not completely broke? Willing to work hard with nobody breathing down your neck?

Go Indy.
Yes. Yes. Very good money management skills (probably one of my top skills). Not even close to broke. Yes.

It depends on your background.

Too many agents think that when they start, it will be their final resting place.

Nothing is forever. Most Indy agents started out captive or captive-esque.

My advice is to start at a local captive shop. Learn the business, find out what products you like/want to sell. Find out what leads you like/want to use.

Treat it as an apprenticeship. Its not forever, but required to set you up for success later in your career.

I know you passed on the deal but it didn’t seem bad at all to me, assuming they were actually real leads.
When I started in ‘09 I was told I would get free leads. Day 1 I was handed a list of about 1k names and numbers. Start dialing buddy, there’s your leads.

Yeah... I disagree w/ UKTX. Being captive does not allow you to figure those things out. The agency that you’re captive with usually has their plan on what you’re going to sell and how they’re going to let you market (hence, Captive.)

If you really want to explore options, then Independent is the way to go.

I always suggest that people really figure out three things before they spend a dime in marketing, sign a contract, or call a lead.

1) What sort of insurance do you want to sell? You can read the pros and cons on this forum and there’s a really great video about insurance types using a monopoly board to exfoliant it. I think it was DHK that put it together, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. (Secondary question would be why)

This question helps determine the answer to question 2)

2) What sort of marketing are you interested in? Inbound/outbound. Both take a lot of work. Inbound is warmer and cheaper to close, but is more expensive up front and takes longer to get started. Outbound is cheaper to start, much more active/expensive to close, and more immediate.

Outbound: Think Doorknock, Telemarking. Can start today and have a sale.

Inbound: Think Direct Marketing, Content Marketing, Referral. Think anywhere from 10 weeks to a year.

Neither is lazy. Just different philosophies. If you want to mix it up, you should do that too.

Finally:

3) What’s your goal?

If you want to make as much money as possible, do you. If you have a set amount of income you want, the do some reverse math based on average commission size to determine your book.

For example, I’m a returning agent after about 7 years. I’m starting from scratch. I have a job that pays well.

1) My interest is Senior health. I like the idea of great residual income. I like complicated information and being able to explain it in laymen’s. I like to work with people that are generally taken advantage of as their advocate.

2) I’m an inbound guy. Insurance is an investment to me. I’m more inclined to spend money where the ROI is best long term. I’m also not afraid of sweat equity. I’m heavy in content marketing. Right now I spend about 20 hours a week developing content, marketing my content, and figuring out ways to improve my ranking online to become more searchable.

I don’t spend a lot of time writing business yet. I’ve been hyper focused on this for about six weeks and I’m just now trickling to my first leads (not prospects, just a name, e-mail, and interest in learning more.)

That’s okay for me. I enjoy writing. It takes me about 4-6 hours to put together a quality piece. However, that piece is now a soldier for me forever. It might need some updated training once a year, but I don’t have to grind away at it anymore.

3) with an average monthly commission of 33 dollars (I’m interested in as earned) I need 160 policies in my book to call it. I mean, I’d love more, but everything above 160 is cherry for me. My goal is to stop slaving away at a government job every day.

I want more time to do things I want to do. 160 give me freedom.

Just a few things to consider.

Yeah... I disagree w/ UKTX. Being captive does not allow you to figure those things out. The agency that you’re captive with usually has their plan on what you’re going to sell and how they’re going to let you market (hence, Captive.)

I always suggest that people really figure out three things before they spend a dime in marketing, sign a contract, or call a lead.

1) What sort of insurance do you want to sell? You can read the pros and cons on this forum and there’s a really great video about insurance types using a monopoly board to exfoliant it. I think it was DHK that put it together, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. (Secondary question would be why)

2) What sort of marketing are you interested in? Inbound/outbound. Both take a lot of work. Inbound is warmer and cheaper to close, but is more expensive up front and takes longer to get started. Outbound is cheaper to start, much more active/expensive to close, and more immediate.

Inbound: Think Direct Marketing, Content Marketing, Referral. Think anywhere from 10 weeks to a year.

Neither is lazy. Just different philosophies. If you want to mix it up, you should do that too.

Finally:

3) What’s your goal?

If you want to make as much money as possible, do you. If you have a set amount of income you want, the do some reverse math based on average commission size to determine your book.

For example, I’m a returning agent after about 7 years. I’m starting from scratch. I have a job that pays well.

1) My interest is Senior health. I like the idea of great residual income. I like complicated information and being able to explain it in laymen’s. I like to work with people that are generally taken advantage of as their advocate.

2) I’m an inbound guy. Insurance is an investment to me. I’m more inclined to spend money where the ROI is best long term. I’m also not afraid of sweat equity. I’m heavy in content marketing. Right now I spend about 20 hours a week developing content, marketing my content, and figuring out ways to improve my ranking online to become more searchable.

I don’t spend a lot of time writing business yet. I’ve been hyper focused on this for about six weeks and I’m just now trickling to my first leads (not prospects, just a name, e-mail, and interest in learning more.)

That’s okay for me. I enjoy writing. It takes me about 4-6 hours to put together a quality piece. However, that piece is now a soldier for me forever. It might need some updated training once a year, but I don’t have to grind away at it anymore.

3) with an average monthly commission of 33 dollars (I’m interested in as earned) I need 160 policies in my book to call it. I mean, I’d love more, but everything above 160 is cherry for me. My goal is to stop slaving away at a government job every day.

Finally:

3) What’s your goal?

But, your whole post is based on the experience you have had. You just didn't wake up one morning and put all that together.

Yes, Indy is the place to be. The goal. But, brand new agents need to learn all the facets of the business.

Why not go through an "on the job" training period onto speak.

All I can do is provide my experience. After 15 years in the business, no way I would be where I am today without the experience I had at the captive shop I joined when I was freshly licensed.

I just wouldnt have made it.

There are many ways to approach this business. I don’t agree with going captive. I think you can get a strong indication on how you want to approach this business by investigating it up front.

This forum is great for that. It also helps new agents cut down on mistakes by giving advice or experiences. The Op is using this forum, so I have to believe that they’re at least nominally self aware to not get trapped.

Also, I would say that I formulated my plan after speaking with another agent from this forum. Previously, I washed out pretty quickly because of a lack of maturity and patience on my part.

I don’t think you have to go through the traditional route of failing out of a Captive agency anymore to justify experience. I believe that if you take the time to be thoughtful and appreciative to the people that are here (and provide value where you can) almost every person will take the time to talk to you and work through your plan with you. Most of the time free of charge with no benefit to themselves.

Just because you go Indy doesn’t mean you lose out on the experience you describe.

You’re out on your on, but you aren’t alone.

But, your whole post is based on the experience you have had. You just didn't wake up one morning and put all that together.

Yes, Indy is the place to be. The goal. But, brand new agents need to learn all the facets of the business.

Why not go through an "on the job" training period onto speak.

All I can do is provide my experience. After 15 years in the business, no way I would be where I am today without the experience I had at the captive shop I joined when I was freshly licensed.

I just wouldnt have made it.
Good points. What if you can get that training and mentoring from a FMO and still be Independent and not give up a big chunk of your commissions? :huh:

Depending on what you want to sell. HoosierLife, who's posted on here and EFES offer face to face training. I'd call them both semi captive because they want all of your contracts in exchange for utilizing their lead programs.

There's also Todd King who has good online training and great contracts. All offer releases if you want to move your contracts later on(though as far as EFES is concerned, that's debatable lately). :yes:

Good points. What if you can get that training and mentoring from a FMO and still be Independent and not give up a big chunk of your commissions? :huh:

Depending on what you want to sell. HoosierLife, who's posted on here and EFES offer face to face training. I'd call them both semi captive because they want all of your contracts in exchange for utilizing their lead programs.

There's also Todd King who has good online training and great contracts. All offer releases if you want to move your contracts later on(though as far as EFES is concerned, that's debatable lately). :yes:

The great thing about this career is that there are plenty of ways to skin the cat.

In my case, when I started at 24 my only experience of sales was trying to get chicks to date me lol. Much less have 2-3k for leads.

I started with zero sales experience, zero money. I did have the good old PHD though (poor hungry and driven). I guess that is what got me through.....

But right out of the gate Indy for me? I would have failed miserably. But that's just me.

Back