License?

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Just wondering if It's possible to receive a temporary L&H license with a non-captive agent till I receive my permanent license? I'm thinking maybe temp. license is only for captive agents.

Huh? What is a temporary license? What state are you in, since this is a state specific question.

Dan

P.S. Sorry, never heard of a temporary license before. Is this like a learners permit? California, as far as I know, you are either licensed or not.

In Michigan at least and I would presume that it may be this way in other states as well (I could be way off base with this though) you can get a temp license that is good for 180 days if any of these conditions are met:

(a) To the surviving spouse or court-appointed personal representative of a licensed insurance producer who dies or becomes mentally or physically disabled to allow adequate time for the sale of the insurance business owned by the producer or for the recovery or return of the producer to the business or to provide for the training and licensing of new personnel to operate the producer's business.

(b) To a member or employee of a business entity licensed as an insurance producer, upon the death or disability of an individual designated in the business entity application or the license.

(c) To the designee of a licensed insurance producer entering active service in the armed forces of the United States of America.

(d) In any other circumstance where the commissioner considers that the public interest will best be served by the issuance of this license.

In Michigan at least and I would presume that it may be this way in other states as well (I could be way off base with this though) you can get a temp license that is good for 180 days if any of these conditions are met:

(a) To the surviving spouse or court-appointed personal representative of a licensed insurance producer who dies or becomes mentally or physically disabled to allow adequate time for the sale of the insurance business owned by the producer or for the recovery or return of the producer to the business or to provide for the training and licensing of new personnel to operate the producer's business.

(b) To a member or employee of a business entity licensed as an insurance producer, upon the death or disability of an individual designated in the business entity application or the license.

(c) To the designee of a licensed insurance producer entering active service in the armed forces of the United States of America.

(d) In any other circumstance where the commissioner considers that the public interest will best be served by the issuance of this license.

What a stupid provision. Do they have that for physicans as well? If my wife were a doctor and died, I could practice medicine tomorrow. Nice for the clients, eh?

Winter

What a stupid provision. Do they have that for physicans as well? If my wife were a doctor and died, I could practice medicine tomorrow. Nice for the clients, eh?

Winter

Only for 180 days though... :)

I've truly never heard of a temp license before. I doubt any carriers would accept it, but who knows.... A similar thing may exist in most states (hopefully not for doctors).

This sounds like one of those things where someone knew someone who had a problem, slipped some wording into something else, and voila, instant solution to the wrong problem.

Dan

Huh? What is a temporary license? What state are you in, since this is a state specific question.

Dan

P.S. Sorry, never heard of a temporary license before. Is this like a learners permit? California, as far as I know, you are either licensed or not.

I'm in state of Illinois and they allow temp. license for new soon to be producers for captive agents but will have to verify for non- captive.

What does the temp license allow you to do? Can you write business? If so, what's the difference between a temp license and a permanent license?

Dan

Georgia has a temp license. Not sure about the details. You are allowed to write business on your own. I think the license is only good for a limited amount of time.

Georgia has a temp license. Not sure about the details. You are allowed to write business on your own. I think the license is only good for a limited amount of time.

In my mind the limited time thing does nothing to make this more acceptable. Any transaction or advice that you enter into with a client can change their life for the better or the worse. The whole purpose of their being licensed is to ensure a certain level of knowledge before entering into the field. These states think that it is oka y to be out selling annuities and medicare supplements etc to the elderly with a frigging temp license and no exam requirements or anything. If an agent has not provided for succession planning or whatever that is his problem. That doesn't mean that his wife should be granted temp authority to advice his clients on whether they should surrender a polilcy or not in light of the tax implications and surrender charges. It's absurd.

And, of by the way, some of them will not be able to pass the exam anyway but get to try it out a little on some clients before that reality hits them. Not many would think that this is a good idea for securities so why for fixed products?

Winter

I cannot say for certain, so this may be totally false, I have been told that the temp licensing started with A.L. Williams pushing the states to allow it.

Back