Licensing Question

joshril

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have recently moved out of TX to Washington. I only hold a TX insurance license and do not intend to get licensed in Washington.

I have a residence in TX still, but will spend very little time there.

TDI tells me that I can change my TX license to non-resident license and that I DO NOT have to hold a resident license in any other state to have an active non-resident license in TX.

Is this true? Can I hold just a non-resident license in TX as a stand-alone license?

Please help me out.

Thanks!:goofy:

I've been licensed 6 years... I would never sell insurance in a state I'm not licensed. I do 100% of my business phone-ALL business in TX! Thanks!

I have contacted the state insurance department of insurance in TX and they told me that I would be good to go with just a non-resident, but the guy didn't sound very confident.

my guess is contact the OIC in texas.

Welcome to Washington. Be aware to do business here, you need that WA license. They do go after folks here.

Good advice, especially in WA. California frowns on that kind of activity, too. In CA, they want those high resident fees from you and your California mailing address is how they catch you. I've heard that online apps get around this, but don't take my word for it.

For non-res info in WA, go here Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner

I cannot see any problem if you confine your sales exclusively to Texas and have a non-resident Texas Insurance License. If you sell in Washington state, you must have a Washington Resident License. I do not believe it is necessary to have a Washington license, too. I would run that by the Washington Insurance Department and explain that you are not going to sell in their state. However, I cannot see any harm in having the Washington license if that is where you indeed do have your domicile.

Ok guys... let me clarify this!

1. I am NEVER going to sell a policy to anyone in the State of Washington
2. All business is done over the phone to Texans
3. There is no reason to get a license in Washington; I never plan to ever sell a single policy to anyone in Washington
4. You have to be licensed in the state that you are doing business in. No business will be done in Washington

My questions is:

Can I hold a Texas non-resident license and nothing else if I am exclusively doing business only in Texas. The rep at the DOI says I can just hold a non-resident, but did not seem very clear on the matter.

I always thought that if you had a non-resident license, you would have to hold a resident license in some state as well. Perhaps this is just for reciprocity for obtaining new non-resident licenses.

I assume without a resident license, my only drawback would be having to go through some additional hoops to obtain a non-resident license in another state.

I would appreciate input from someone with some actual knowledge on this.

I have a friend who is licensed in NJ as a resident agent. He is also licensed in PA as a non-resident agent. He had no problems obtaining the PA NR license because of reciprocity. I can see your point about having to obtain a resident license in some state in order to obtain a NR in another state. I understand it is quite easy and does not require jumping through a lot of hoops. Sales Wolf and some others on this forum are licensed in multiple states. Again, even if you do not plan to sell in Washington what is the harm in holding a WA resident license? I understand it is quite easy and can be done on an internet site run by the NAIC.

I have a friend who is licensed in NJ as a resident agent. He is also licensed in PA as a non-resident agent. He had no problems obtaining the PA NR license because of reciprocity. I can see your point about having to obtain a resident license in some state in order to obtain a NR in another state. I understand it is quite easy and does not require jumping through a lot of hoops. Sales Wolf and some others on this forum are licensed in multiple states. Again, even if you do not plan to sell in Washington what is the harm in holding a WA resident license? I understand it is quite easy and can be done on an internet site run by the NAIC.

The process to get licensed is a pain in the arse and includes taking some classes to avoid examination. I also don't like having to pay fees if I never intend to business here. My bread and butter is the health market and Washington health providers are not some of my favorite.

Getting back to what I originally asked, I just want to confirm that I can, in fact, hold only a non-resident in TX. Some state want you to hold a residence license as well to be in compliance, but the rep I spoke with told me TX does not. He did not seem to be very sure of this either and I can't find anything in the insurance code...

Both TX and WA issue a non-residence license if you hold a valid residence license.
Can I hold a Texas non-resident license and nothing else if I am exclusively doing business only in Texas. The rep at the DOI says I can just hold a non-resident, but did not seem very clear on the matter.
What you are asking is if you can hold a non-res in TX. What's the point?
  1. If you are only doing biz in TX, why get a WA license just so you can sell in TX where you already hold a license?
  2. If your residence lic is in TX, why bother getting a non-res in TX, too?
I'd just continue as you are, a Texan selling policies to Texans.

Back