Life Companies for Independent Agent in Ohio

daveb

Expert
NE Ohio
Hi everyone.

I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to create my own independent business here in Ohio,in lieu of going captive. I don't have a clue which life insurance companies I should get appointed with.
Should I sign up with three....five....seven?

Could you possibly throw any recommendation's my way? Not only in numbers of companies,but the actual companies themselves.I've just signed up with Jackson National but that's it so far.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much. Cheers!!

Dave

Ohio National is a great fit for independents, but you likely won't be able to appoint with them as a PGA in Ohio. They still operate career agencies in many states such as Ohio. Someone else asked this a week or so ago. I logged into my Ohio National producers section and they do not show an RVP for Ohio.

Yup, no PGA's in Ohio for ONL. Jackson is a good company, decent term rates (used to be better) a nice current assumption UL (9 year surrender) and great annuity contracts.

You could just find an IMO, MGA, BGA to become appointed with.

You should probably get in touch with the brokerage department at Massmutual and Guardian. You'll have to work through their local GA's, but they both have great disability insurance contracts, and great whole life options. Neither one is going be amazing for UL or term rates most of the time.

GA in name only, I can't see myself using my PGA contract to contract IPA (independent producing agents) under ONL since they can just call the RVP and get appointed as PGA's themselves.

Dave, I have a good friend in Canton that just went independent after leaving Northwestern. He did a lot of research and met with a lot of organizations. If you want to PM me I could give you his name and number. I think he ended up going with a BGA that gave him access to just about all the carriers out there.

Back