Life Insurance Carriers

NLewisOhio

I'm new to the forums and have seen alot of suggestions on life carriers. I just started out on my own and I am looking to complete some apps to get appointed with a few life insurance companies as an independent broker.

Does anyone have any suggestions on companies to apply for appointments to? Feedback on why you refer that carrier(s) would be most appeciated. Also links to online appointment applications would be great too. So far I have applied to AIG and I am waiting to hear back from Mass Mutual too.

Last edited:
Each distribution channel/marketing organization has their own Contracting process. Banner is normally in the top 5 on most of the term quote engines. Sagicor is a good option non medical products. North American's Gul and indexed products are strong If I were you I wouldn't worry about picking up a bunch of different companies until you have business to write. Anyone that contracts agents (myself included) will assist you with carrier selection. You can get contracted you once you have business.

So in other words, keep prospecting and quote some of those companies then worry about the appointment? Will the carrier I sell give me the pay for those sales even if I sell the product before being appointed? I'm not looking to have an upline. I am going to be following my own prospecting model so I expect the full reward of my hard work.

Sounds like you're trying to go direct?

Depends on what you are focusing on. Pre need? Final expense? Etc.

I want to focus on Final Expense for now but I would like to have a full range of products to offer for any referrals I have from clients that may have different insurable interests too.

So in other words, keep prospecting and quote some of those companies then worry about the appointment? Will the carrier I sell give me the pay for those sales even if I sell the product before being appointed? I'm not looking to have an upline. I am going to be following my own prospecting model so I expect the full reward of my hard work.

I think we all felt that way at first. The reality is, quite a few carriers require you to work through a marketing organization. I understand your concern with getting paid as much as you possibly can and there are great organizations out here that pay well. You will probably find better contracts through a distribution channel then you would going Direct.

Sounds like you're trying to go direct?

Depends on what you are focusing on. Pre need? Final expense? Etc.

Sounds like he's doing FU.

----------

Each distribution channel/marketing organization has their own Contracting process. Banner is normally in the top 5 on most of the term quote engines. Sagicor is a good option non medical products. North American's Gul and indexed products are strong If I were you I wouldn't worry about picking up a bunch of different companies until you have business to write. Anyone that contracts agents (myself included) will assist you with carrier selection. You can get contracted you once you have business.

I can't imagine not contracting with the companies 1st. Some will let you send in an app with your contracting, but some take a while.

I think we all felt that way at first. The reality is, quite a few carriers require you to work through a marketing organization. I understand your concern with getting paid as much as you possibly can and there are great organizations out here that pay well. You will probably find better contracts through a distribution channel then you would going Direct.

I appreciate the advice Gimp but I will not ever use any marketing from another source. I prefer to build my own pipe line. I made that mistake with my old employer where I was not even using their leads but using my own pipeline I generated and worked to the top of that company but was getting middle manned for all my hard work. I'm confident in my abilities and I may be new to the independent field but I have a few years of valuable experience I can execute.

----------

Sounds like he's doing FU.

----------

I can't imagine not contracting with the companies 1st. Some will let you send in an app with your contracting, but some take a while.

Yea AIG was pretty easy to get an appointment app submitted but other companies I have looked into so far just keep running me in circles trying to find their appointment contracts whether directly online or in printable format.

Working your way to the top of the company sounds like you may have been involved in an MLM or you started on a 40% deal. In the final expense market you should be getting at least 110% unless it's a guaranteed-issue company.

Based on your post it sounds like you may have gotten screwed previously so I can understand your apprehension.

Last edited:
Right. I mean no offense Gimp I just want to pave my own path. See the problem right now, atleast with contracting with some of the best Final Expense companies like Gerber/Assurity/TransAm etc, is that my former employer holds my contracting with those companies for 9 months following my departure with them. I am contracted through them with most of the better companies for FE that keep popping up in my research. I don't want to find myself in that position again.

Back