Life Insurance for Disabled

Moral Risk, among other things. The UW will look at it actuarilly, but just think about it this way.

They will decline a person who parachutes daily because they live a risky lifestyle and are more likely to die than someone who doesn't. Someone who is involved in crime that involve gunfire is living a risky lifestyle.

Parachuting regularly is much different from the situation you describe. I cant think of the last time the 6 o'clock news had a story about a guy in a wheel chair holding up a liquor store.

Life insurance on a quad or para is a challenge, but how the accident happened is rarely if ever an issue to underwriters. They are more concerned with the extent of the damage, how long it has been since the accident, what kind of medical issues have occurred since the accident and most importantly, what lies ahead. The individual's mental state also comes in to play as some quads & para's are depressed and potentially suicidal, even long after the accident.

The after effects of the injury are absolutely a consideration, you are correct.

It doesn't lessen the fact that the company wants to know about high risk behavior. Being involved in a gun related crime is high risk behavior. I won't belabor the point other than to give you two examples from my own experience. It is anecdotal, but it is representative.

1) I had an applicant who had been arrested as a teenager for robbery. A high school kid who was arrested for robbing a hardware store, the other kid with him had a gun. This was aprox. 10 years prior. My company's uw guidelines (again, anecdotal but representative) are that a conviction for a weapons related crime make you uninsurable. Actuarial statistics support the decision.

2) Similar story but no weapon involved, person arrested for sale of marijuana. The amount was small enough that had a sale not been involved, he couldn't even be charged with possession. However, a sale was involved and he was convicted. Our guidelines say uninsurable for 10 years for any drug sales related conviction.

Some companies are more lenient, some are more strict. In any case, the cause of a gunshot injury is relevant to the underwriting of the case.

If I was an underwriter and just saw "gun shot wound" I'd want to know the story: Shot accidentially while cleaning your gun? Attemped suicide? You were robbing a 7/11? Just in the wrong place at the wrong time, like a drive-by?

Back