Life Insurance for Gastric Bypass client

Jeffc

Has anyone had any experience trying to get LIFE ins for a client that recently had gastric bypass??

My client had it 6 months ago. No complications. Not prompted by any medical condition. Just couldn't successfully diet. lost 65 lbs. Currently 5'11" & 210 lbs.

I know most carriers want to see 1-2 years of post surgery success but he needs this as collateral for a business loan.

Any suggested carriers that may consider him???

Thanks in advance. :)

Re: Life Ins for Gastric Bypass client

I am currently working with a client in the same situation...He was diagnosed as type II diabetic and had gastric bypass surgery in April 2008...Your best bet would be to send your case to AIG rated as Table 2. I doubt the smaller companies would take a look at him ie Banner West Coast but a large company such as AIG would consider him especially due to his height/weight.

To qualify ask your client what is his current A1c rating...if below 7 is good but if he below 6 he would stand a better chance.

hope this helps

[email protected]

Houston,
Thanks for the input... I did prescreen w/aig & they came back saying they would only condsider after 1 yr of stability & that would probably be a table D.
He does not have any medical/diabetes issues.
Have you actually gone thru UW with aig???

You know a lot of our risk cases have been receiving standard at John Hancock. I am not sure about this particular situation but give it a try.

Houston,
Thanks for the input... I did prescreen w/aig & they came back saying they would only condsider after 1 yr of stability & that would probably be a table D.
He does not have any medical/diabetes issues.
Have you actually gone thru UW with aig???

Table D seems kind of steep to me. Lots of people who have gastric bypass are extremely overweight and there is a risk that someone will pop back up to an extreme weight. But if the facts you presented are correct, this guy was only 275 before the bypass, which is practically within standard with some companies. I would look for a better quote than table D.

Winter

Table D seems kind of steep to me. Lots of people who have gastric bypass are extremely overweight and there is a risk that someone will pop back up to an extreme weight. But if the facts you presented are correct, this guy was only 275 before the bypass, which is practically within standard with some companies. I would look for a better quote than table D.

Winter

I agree but of the 6-8 carriers I've looked into so far, they all want to see 1-2 years of weight & health stability post surgery before they will consider. I'm sure someone will do it, still looking.
Thanks.

You can always write the client a graded benefit policy. Most company was at least 1 or 2 years before they would take the client. The doctors have came a long way with gastric bypass. I think companies will rethink this policy soon. The best thing to do is call the underwriting companies at all the companies you work for, until you find the best deal for the client.

Back