Life Insurance for Overweight or Obese Americans

With record-breaking obesity stats in this country, we're always challenged with finding lower rates for clients.. so how do you handle that awkward conversation about "build?"

With record-breaking obesity stats in this country, we're always challenged with finding lower rates for clients.. so how do you handle that awkward conversation about "build?"

I have yet to meet a person who was obese or overweight and did not know it. No need to hide it, just don't be rude or condescending about it. Almost, all are aware that they may be charged extra for it.

By being honest with your prospect. If you're quoting super preferred to an obese person, you're being dishonest.

Know your tables for the plans you sell.

That way your conversations will be about what they can get and not what they can't.

I have yet to meet a person who was obese or overweight and did not know it. No need to hide it, just don't be rude or condescending about it. Almost, all are aware that they may be charged extra for it.

However, I once made an appointment for a couple who were, ah, larger people who had a unique spin on how to handle that. The wife called in, looking for quotes and appointments for herself and her husband. She correctly listed his height & weight (6'3" and 375lbs) and told me that she was 5'8" and about 150-160 pounds. they came into the office and she comes up to the middle of my glasses (I'm 5'6") and in no way, shape or form was she 150-160. She demands to see the quotes and I have to inform her that I have to recalculate hers. She wants to know what the initial tentative cost would be.

Turns out she is 5'3", 248 lbs and is a smoker-she claims only when she works. She works from home. Even though she knew that would cost her more she also assumed that the info that she gave over the phone would save the premium. She was a bit belligerent. Her husband was fine with his quote, but felt compelled to leave the office after her as she loudly stomped out claiming that I was trying to rip her off...

Wonder if she heard that you can save age and translated that to save the weight...

Otherwise, I agree with you, VolAgent.

However, I once made an appointment for a couple who were, ah, larger people who had a unique spin on how to handle that. The wife called in, looking for quotes and appointments for herself and her husband. She correctly listed his height & weight (6'3" and 375lbs) and told me that she was 5'8" and about 150-160 pounds. they came into the office and she comes up to the middle of my glasses (I'm 5'6") and in no way, shape or form was she 150-160. She demands to see the quotes and I have to inform her that I have to recalculate hers. She wants to know what the initial tentative cost would be.

Turns out she is 5'3", 248 lbs and is a smoker-she claims only when she works. She works from home. Even though she knew that would cost her more she also assumed that the info that she gave over the phone would save the premium. She was a bit belligerent. Her husband was fine with his quote, but felt compelled to leave the office after her as she loudly stomped out claiming that I was trying to rip her off...

Wonder if she heard that you can save age and translated that to save the weight...

Otherwise, I agree with you, VolAgent.

There are people in denial about anything and everything. I don't run my business to accommodate the exceptions. Except, she was not in denial. She knew she was overweight and used tobacco and she knew it would affect her rates. She simply hoped that by lying to you initially she could avoid the extra premium. Unless you had a company that would not rate for build or tobacco, there was nothing to be done. Even then, she has already lied to you twice, how many more opportunities would you like to give her?

Latest posts

Back