Life Insurance for Pre-Diabetic

gussle285

Expert
Have a client who was declined by AGLA on 500K 20 year term life policy because the client's blood sugars were a little elevated, but not quite Type 2 Diabetes status. This happened six months ago and in that time frame he has lost 25 lbs (6 ft 0 in 210 lbs now).

Are there any carriers who have more liberal underwriting practices that maybe I can get this guy insured at a standard or sub-standard rate? He is 50 years old and lives in CA. Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Someone is fibbing to someone...

I seriously doubt slightly elevated blood sugar levels got him declined. There is probably more to this than just slightly high glucose levels. Or do you consider a rated policy to be a decline?

I seriously doubt slightly elevated blood sugar levels got him declined. There is probably more to this than just slightly high glucose levels. Or do you consider a rated policy to be a decline?

I am just going on the info that the client told me on his decline letter. He knows he will be rated higher and this was a decline according to my client. As far as I know he doesn't have high blood pressure and his cholesterol are at normal levels. Maybe there is something more going on that I am not aware of.

It sounds like his lab results weren't too favorable...If he has lost some weight, and is in better health, no reason why he couldn't receive a Standard rating...And like Volagent stated, Am. General would not decline him just for elevated blood sugar levels

I am just going on the info that the client told me on his decline letter. He knows he will be rated higher and this was a decline according to my client. As far as I know he doesn't have high blood pressure and his cholesterol are at normal levels. Maybe there is something more going on that I am not aware of.

There is something more that you are not aware of. Get a copy of the letter and the lab results. Just a guess, but they may be elevated to the point they think he has uncontrolled diabetes. Again, that is just a guess. Until you have that letter and those results, you don't know a darn thing.

I agree. I have gotten full blown insulin dependent diabetics issued with AGLA. There is somehting more going on other than an elevated A1C. BTW, there is no such thing as "pre diabetic" or even "borderline" diabetic.

There is something more that you are not aware of. Get a copy of the letter and the lab results. Just a guess, but they may be elevated to the point they think he has uncontrolled diabetes. Again, that is just a guess. Until you have that letter and those results, you don't know a darn thing.

Ditto. Time for that direct client talk.

A great position to be in though. The agent can come in as the fix it man now.

As a type II, I agree there's no such thing like pre diabetic. It's like a little pregnant.

To score a decline, I wonder how high his a1c was. Treat the case as a diabetic one and do a preliminary underwriting review. He's in the MIB as a dibetic so treat it that way and good luck.

I guess "elevated blood sugar" is the other agent's way of saying the guy has cake frosting in his blood.

I had to tell a client he was diabetic once, A1C of 10.2. Not a fun conversation to have, I'd guess the agent passed it off or the underwriter just blamed the blood sugar for something else.

Maybe the slightly elevated blood sugar was just too much to handle with HIV+, huh?

Back