Life Insurance Paramed and Smoking Blunt

Apr 4, 2007

1. NHB_MMA

NHB_MMA Guru

I saw an old friend yesterday that is highly interested in buying some life insurance from me but will fall under the blood and urine requirement. This person admitted to smoking occasional marijuana once in a while. I'm not talking Tommy Chong, Snoop Dogg, or even Ricky Williams, but some occasional chronic.

The rumor I've heard is that life companies really don't care much about it, but are more concerned about tobacco for the higher cancer risk or cocaine which can trigger an OD. I don't exactly want to call underwriting and ask.

Thoughts?

NHB_MMA, Apr 4, 2007
  2. salpro22

salpro22 Guru

State:
    Texas
    Don't inhale ;)

3. LaffAgent

LaffAgent Expert

My company will rate recreational marijuana smokers at a standard smoker rate. The UW seems to have a lot of discretion as to what recreational is, but they certainly have gotten more liberal over the years.

4. senior-advisor-indiana

senior-advisor-indiana Guru

State:
    Indiana
    I always use the "old friend" reference when I don't want people to know its me also. Good one NHB_MMA.

5. Insuranceman

Insuranceman Guru

A agent friend of mine told me that some gal he wrote a life insurance app. on actually admitted on the application that she occationally smoked
    pot. She was a decline.

6. johnrocks

johnrocks Guru

i used to smoke so much when i walked past a bird dog their tail would go straight up in the air and ... their leg would go up in the air as they "pointed" at me!!!

7. LaffAgent

LaffAgent Expert

Pot use is not an automatic decline at all companies. As I said, my company rates as a smoker for recreational use "as long as it's admitted on the app". If they find it in the labs or the APS it's a decline.

Don't ever hesitate to call the underwriter to ask. It's far better that you know what you're dealing with up front. Trust me, you aren't going to shock them with any of your questions, they've heard them all.

8. senior-advisor-indiana

senior-advisor-indiana Guru

State:
    Indiana
    I get way too paraniod when I smoke pot. I used to love it.;)

9. johnrocks

johnrocks Guru

10. salpro22

salpro22 Guru

State:
    Texas
    More of a NA meeting from the sound of it!