Life Lead Sources Online.

Hello everyone,
I am a new agent (Surprise) with Mutual of Omaha. I just recently finished up my pre-contract requirements and will be on a full Producer contract as soon as the paperwork is submitted...
I have had plenty of sales experience over the years which I feel gives me an edge only because of my people skills, other than that nothing else compares to the practice of insurance.
There is so much to learn with all the different types of products and regulations. I have been learning our products from the basic term policy to fixed annuities (No series license yet) Mutual has a really good Mentor/Agent Manager program to help me thru learning the products and Identifying the needs of the customers and in the field so I am very confident that I am in the right place. The one thing that I feel is lacking is How to get appointments. There is no "Book of business" handed to you.
I can request list of Orphans by zip code in our area and offer them an opportunity to review their policies with me. I would say that 1 out of 100 calls results in a review appointment of which I have been able to convert or add to their portfolio "Approx. 1 in 5 Appointments"
I have also invested in online lead sources such as: Insurance Quotes, Life leads Direct, precise leads, Hometown Quotes. I have been averaging 5 appts out of 40 leads closing 3 out of 5. That is 4 contracts from web leads and orphans and self-generated contracts from friends and family for a total of 9 contracts since I started on June 1 2015.
I need to get in front of a lot more prospects each week to build a successful practice.
I need Ideas and suggestions, I have been planting seeds in my community but I need a Fresh crop to harvest now. I am beginning to see that I cannot rely on web leads or orphans so I have been asking everyone whether friend family Barber etc. for business and referrals.
I am fortunate that I have a little money put aside to help me build my business but I don’t want to just throw it out there on some of these companies that talk a good story but don't deliver.
So please, I am asking for any constructive criticism, Ideas, resources that you have found that work, be honest, be brutal.

Thanks for your help.
Best of Success!
Dana Lowery

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I am a new agent (Surprise) with Mutual of Omaha. I just recently finished up my pre-contract requirements and will be on a full Producer contract as soon as the paperwork is submitted...
I have had plenty of sales experience over the years which I feel gives me an edge only because of my people skills, other than that nothing else compares to the practice of insurance.
There is so much to learn with all the different types of products and regulations. I have been learning our products from the basic term policy to fixed annuities (No series license yet) Mutual has a really good Mentor/Agent Manager program to help me thru learning the products and Identifying the needs of the customers and in the field so I am very confident that I am in the right place. The one thing that I feel is lacking is How to get appointments. There is no "Book of business" handed to you.
I can request list of Orphans by zip code in our area and offer them an opportunity to review their policies with me. I would say that 1 out of 100 calls results in a review appointment of which I have been able to convert or add to their portfolio "Approx. 1 in 5 Appointments"
I have also invested in online lead sources such as: Insurance Quotes, Life leads Direct, precise leads, Hometown Quotes. I have been averaging 5 appts out of 40 leads closing 3 out of 5. That is 4 contracts from web leads and orphans and self-generated contracts from friends and family for a total of 9 contracts since I started on June 1 2015.
I need to get in front of a lot more prospects each week to build a successful practice.
I need Ideas and suggestions, I have been planting seeds in my community but I need a Fresh crop to harvest now. I am beginning to see that I cannot rely on web leads or orphans so I have been asking everyone whether friend family Barber etc. for business and referrals.
I am fortunate that I have a little money put aside to help me build my business but I don’t want to just throw it out there on some of these companies that talk a good story but don't deliver.
So please, I am asking for any constructive criticism, Ideas, resources that you have found that work, be honest, be brutal.

Thanks for your help.
Best of Success!
Dana Lowery

Good stuff, Dana!

I would say referrals are probably going to end up being your number one way, after you've built up your book. I, too, am exploring all different types of lead sources outside of referrals for agents I work with. The best (and probably most expensive) lead is going to be an appointment set, with a recording of the call. Let me know if you find a good source for life products

Atticus

I worked with moo for almost all of last year, sounds like you're in a better DO than I was. But ultimately I never found success with Internet leads, and the FE product is way too weak to buy the cheaper and better FE leads.

It comes down to cold calling and prospecting. MoO did have some really nice leave behinds that you can get personalized really cheap. And they have a deal with US DATA to where you can get data lists for about 40% off.

The sad part is that your numbers won't ring any different with cold calling. 100 calls=1 appointment. 5 appointments= 1 sale.

What you'll find is that the GA holds all of the cards. Those orphan lists he is giving you are crap. He also has access to all of the term policies that are expiring this year and next, plus the UL's that are in danger of lapsing, and he is either running those appointments himself or handing him off to the teachers pet.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting, but to answer your question, internet leads blow hard and will not grow a practice. For the type of agency you're at, cold calling and prospecting are the keys to the kingdom.

I worked with moo for almost all of last year, sounds like you're in a better DO than I was. But ultimately I never found success with Internet leads, and the FE product is way too weak to buy the cheaper and better FE leads.

It comes down to cold calling and prospecting. MoO did have some really nice leave behinds that you can get personalized really cheap. And they have a deal with US DATA to where you can get data lists for about 40% off.

The sad part is that your numbers won't ring any different with cold calling. 100 calls=1 appointment. 5 appointments= 1 sale.

What you'll find is that the GA holds all of the cards. Those orphan lists he is giving you are crap. He also has access to all of the term policies that are expiring this year and next, plus the UL's that are in danger of lapsing, and he is either running those appointments himself or handing him off to the teachers pet.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting, but to answer your question, internet leads blow hard and will not grow a practice. For the type of agency you're at, cold calling and prospecting are the keys to the kingdom.

I have had better success with the Orphens then the web leads so far. And no it does not sound like you are ranting to me. I absalutly agree with you however, When I go into the office tomorrow I will ask about the term policies that are expiring and lapsing policies. thanks for the info.

I have had better success with the Orphens then the web leads so far. And no it does not sound like you are ranting to me. I absalutly agree with you however, When I go into the office tomorrow I will ask about the term policies that are expiring and lapsing policies. thanks for the info.

I had better success with orphans than leads as well.

The really crappy thing is that the career agents are only allowed to sell the whole life guaranteed product. MoO has a decent SIWL called living promised that is exclusive to the broker side. I know I would still be there if I would have had access to it because FE leads are cheaper and high quality.

Back