Life/LTC Combo Products Are NOT Cheaper Than Stand-alone LTCi Policies

Mr_Ed

Guru
1000 Post Club
NJ
Why would anyone with common sense think that a life insurance policy that guarantees a payout would be less expensive than a stand-lone LTCi policy that may or may not pay a benefit.

Today I read this baloney:

"A client is interested in long-term care insurance and you come back with premium that almost sends the person into cardiac arrest. The price is shocking, way more than the prospect expected or can afford, and who, disappointed, writes it off and you write off the sale.

Not necessarily. Here’s where a linked benefit, a long-term care rider in this case, can get the coverage the client wants at an affordable price and you make the sale. It’s an example of clients getting more than they ask for — whether it’s term life or permanent insurance, they have a death benefit plus the opportunity to access the face amount for long-term care.

Clients embrace linked benefits because they add value by offering living benefits at a modest increase in cost."

When comparing similar LTC benefits, Life/LTC policies are NOT cheaper than a stand-alone LTCi policy. In fact, 9 times out of 10 a Life/LTC policy will be 2x to 3x the premium of a stand-alone LTCi policy.

I just ran a quote for a 61-year old couple sharing $250,000 of LTCi benefits: $5,000 monthly benefit, 90 day calendar day elimination period and no inflation growth.

If they buy a stand-alone LTCi policy it will cost them a combined annual premium about $2,241 per year (it will be 15% less if they can get the preferred health discount).

If they buy a Life/LTC policy it will cost them $4,432 (almost TWICE the premium). This policy would pay a death benefit of $125,000 after the death of the second spouse if neither spouse made an LTC claim.

can we please stop telling consumers (and other agents) that Life/LTC policies are cheaper than stand-alone LTCi.

Life/LTC policies are usually 2x, sometimes even 3x, more expensive than a stand-alone LTCi policy with comparable benefits.

mr ed

In the case of my clients, it's the fact that they'll "lose the money" if they never need the LTCi. If you add on ROP riders, the price tends to be closer.

In the case of my clients, it's the fact that they'll "lose the money" if they never need the LTCi. If you add on ROP riders, the price tends to be closer.

Do your clients choose not to buy collision insurance on their cars because they'll lose that money if they never have a car accident?

I find that many of my clients are most attracted to the premium guarantees of the linked benefit plans.

Of course companies like A++ rated traditional underwriters such as Mass Mutual and Northwestern Mutual can be considered for traditional LTC policies if rate increase risk is a primary concern.

I find that many of my clients are most attracted to the premium guarantees of the linked benefit plans.

Of course companies like A++ rated traditional underwriters such as Mass Mutual and Northwestern Mutual can be considered for traditional LTC policies if rate increase risk is a primary concern.

There is only a rate guarantee on these products IF:

1) they are whole life
or
2) they have a no-lapse guarantee.

A policy that does not have a no-lapse guarantee is in itself very risky.

You, Jack, sell the best of the Life/LTC combo products.

There are some agents who are selling TERM LIFE insurance policies with LTC riders.

Other agents are selling UL policies withOUT a no-lapse guarantee.

Other agents are selling indexed UL policies with ridiculous interest rate assumptions.

A BUNCH of these policies will end up lapsing before the policyowner ever needs long-term care.

That's another reason why I am so adamant about this.

Last edited:
Back