Liicense ?- Moving from Texas to Florida

SirLurkAlot

Expert
This is the first of many questions related to my move. My wife and I are empty-nesters blessed to have a kid at the Air Force Academy and a daughter playing college volleyball in Florida. Considering neither's plans have them returning to Texas soon, we sold our home and most of what we own and are moving to Naples FL in February- you know, YOLO! Haha!!!

I am licensed in Texas and have one more time of completing CE's to then be grandfathered in Texas. Can someone who understands reciprocality between the states provide me the summary of how I should handle it especially in regards to licensing?

A few variables include:
- I plan to return to Texas and maintain my Medicare business between Oct & Dec (including family holidays there- we're both Texas natives)
- I may/may-not continue my ACA business there- keeping me through February
- We will not have a permanent address in Florida for awhile as we are going to move around until we find our desired location.
- We are currently using a family member address in Texas as we are living in a short-term rental. Their address is basically our physical address at this point.

I will have several more questions going forward, so THANKS! in advance.

J

When you move to florida, your grandfathered status in texas is kind of a moot point, because you would change your tx license to a non resident. Meaning you are a residentof florida and are under the rules governing florida agents. Most states have reciprocity on recognizing licenses from other states but hardly any that im aware of will give you the same grandfathered status you have in another state. Unless there is some law im not aware of. You will still turn in ce requirements, but they will be for florida, and you would just continue to renew yu tx license but as a non res. Even when you are there servicing your business.

----------

I think you can just change your address to the new tx address for now, but eventually, you will have to change it to non res when you find a place in fl. Then the things about having to do ce would apply. As long as tx knows your status at the time you leave.

Until you find permanent residence in FL, Just get a Non-Resident License in FL.

When you settle down, apply for the Resident License in FL and change TX to a non-resident license.

Just paperwork, and the easy part will be that you are already in both systems to make the transition smooth and you won't miss a hitch with the carriers you represent.

As for any reciprocity between FL and TX, there is none.... You would follow the resident agent guidelines in FL for CE, etc.

As for any reciprocity between FL and TX, there is none.... You would follow the resident agent guidelines in FL for CE, etc.
There is reciprocity in that as long as you keep up with your (home-state) Florida CE, you don't have to do it in your non-resident states.

Plus Florida will require their own fingerprint kit. I don't think they accept the one from Texas.

Florida also requires a small fee for each county you sell in I believe.

Thanks! Everything I assumed, y'all (I can only use y'all for another month- haha!) have confirmed. I guess I will be doing CE for life. My wife who has been grandfathered awhile but does not actively sell anymore will love this. I guess we will be doing some AOR changes.

Back