Lincoln IUL

For whole life I prefer Ohio National. I don't really do IUL. LFG can be nice with their table shave and competitive underwriting for large cases.

Why Ohio National? Their rep has been in my office quite a bit trying to push their product. I truly dont know a ton about it, but when quoting WL its usually Lafayette, Mass Mutual, a little bit of Assurity, and MTL. I guess my question is why should I push Ohio National. What do you like about this product?

Generally good premiums, good performance, vastly better comp than Mass, and good support from the home office. They are a fair underwriter. Typical mutual, but usually a bit nicer on underwriting.

Also, they have some of the best term rates around. Great for conversions down the road. They aren't always the cheapest on term, no one is. But usually very good rates.

Oh someone asked about whole life insurance, allow me to slide on in here:

In addition to what Vol pointed out, let me also say (regarding ONL):

- Way more flexibility than Mass on the PUA side

- Way more interested in getting things done than Mass (oh how I hate the turn around time the big mutuals have)

- Lafayette is a great choice as well. Though their illustration software leaves a lot to be desired (Tapestry is pretty sweet though)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh and since it wasn't mentioned: Guardian (my top choice for a big 4 mutual) yeah I know direct recognition, but they treat it pretty well, especially with the 10 pay.

Last edited:
If you are going to scrutinize an answer, then please also look at the question. We are all on this board to become more knowledgeable about the products and problems that may arise in this industry.
Thanks for considering this

Fair enough, it was a vague question.

I would second Alliance on comp too.
Ive never paid attention to NAs target, but I hear they pay well too.

Maybe the OP will clarify and we can help a bit more.
Very aware, but the question was extremely vague and I took it as comp. Lincoln tends to have favorable underwrtiting but in my dealings with them they are very unorganized.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me that LFG is disorganized. How many years ago did they buy Jefferson Pilot? They still haven't gotten that all straightened out. Call Indiana for this, call Greensboro for this and New Hampshire for that.

I would agree with this most of the time.

I dont know what the hell is going on up in Greensboro, but recently they are the most discombobulated group of people I have ever dealt with!

And yeah, im still trying to figure out all of the different "channels" within LFG.... ABGA, BGA, LFN, LFD, IN, LFA....

And everything is different depending on what "channel" your contracted with..

Less and less of my biz has been going through Lincoln Financial recently because of mishaps and slow turnaround.

I just pushed through a large case. They were extremely nonchalant about everything, and constantly re-requested requirements that were already submitted.

In their defense they are working on consolidating things... they claim.

. i also heard they are considering adding the income rider to the IUL that is available on the reserve.

I take back what I said earlier about vagueness.

Its pretty clear its a product question from this.

John,
I have heard this as well, and it would be a very welcome addition imo!

It would pretty much secure them at the moment as top IUL dog in the pack.

Like I said, LFG IUL is hard to beat.
North American's IUL is top notch.

www.thirdlakefinancialcorporation.com

NA has a good product.

I dont like the variable loan option. Its a confusing calculation/comparison method. They basically take a paragraph to tell you that as long as Moodys Corp Bond Yield is under 12% it will be that.

Its not a bad option... just not a consistent one, and the 12% max would be a hard pill to swallow if we saw another 1980's.
And its the only way to have NDR.

But they do have "standard" loans which are a guaranteed wash after year ten.

I dont like the 0% floor though.

Last edited:
Fair enough, it was a vague question.

Its not a bad option... just not a consistent one, and the 12% max would be a hard pill to swallow if we saw another 1980's.
And its the only way to have NDR.

But they do have "standard" loans which are a guaranteed wash after year ten.

I dont like the 0% floor though.

What do you mean by see another 1980's??

Back