Linkedin Networking

nyc2phi

Guru
1000 Post Club
Has anyone used Linkedin to network and establish new business relationships?

Any tips from people that have done so?

I'm very experienced with LinkedIn. Not with insurance, but within the corporate environment. The good thing about insurance is that EVERYONE is a potential client. That being said, LinkedIn should be a great source.

My biggest advice is to join groups of interest; groups to where you can offer some free, sound advice and information to others. You will want to do it in such a way that you are NOT pitching your business. Give good advice to people and they will click on your profile where they will be able to see a link to your insurance website.

It really does work. I've generated many corporate leads from LinkedIn. Good ones too.

I use linkedin a ton! I goto a ton of networking events, and its easy to follow up with someone on linkedin, and then I ask them to shop any coverages or meet for 15 minutes to show them the work I do.
I blindly connect with anyone in my city especially if they have mutual connections, but I target small business owners. I add about 5 connections a day minimum. Its just one more way to get in front of people. I got a nice case yesterday off of it.
But I only go and invite people once a week, usually on the weekend, so Monday comes, a ton of people are connecting.

Last edited:
Just be careful on how many invites you send out. When I was building I was sending out a lot of invites and seemingly Linkin didn't care. But when I got up to thousands of connections all of a sudden they cared and shot me a message stating that the percentage of people who accept cannot drop below "X% "(forgot the exact percentage) or they'd disable my ability to invite.

So now I participate in various groups and send invites to other participants. The acceptance percentage is much better that way.

Beyond that, is has a snowball effect. When you start getting over 2,000 connections you start getting a lot of requests. At this point I get about 10 requests a day.

Last edited:
I use LinkedIn but don't wish to have more than 500 contacts.
To me, anything (much) more than that is unrealistic....sort of like those on FB and Twitter who have thousands of "friends/followers"
Perhaps I am not fully utilizing the possibilities.

I *just* got on linked in recently. So far it's mostly been an opportunity to connect with the friends and clients I've worked with over the years, sort of like a professional facebook. It's started two conversations with folks I used to work with that I'd lost the contact info for.

Anyone feel free to add me: Joshua Stacy | LinkedIn

I'm looking forward to using it for networking, but for now it's just a nice way to stay in touch with folks and get to know them a little better.

Great feedback.

I am mostly looking to establish relationships with mortgage brokers, realtors, ect. to send business back and forth.

Latest posts

Back