List and Lead Help

Wondering if you guys could help me out, I sell LTC, Med Sup, PFFS, Annuities, FE, and Disability Insurance. Wondering if you guy knew where you found a place to get some good lists. Thanks.

All lists are not created equal. I have, in the past, purchased lists from several different companies and found that the last time I purchased a list, about two years ago, Lead Concepts had the most current information.

With some companies you will get a list that has a lot of people who are no longer at the address and phone number, and a lot who have already collected on their life insurance. Cheaper is not always better. Lists don't cost money, they are an investment in your business especially when working the senior market. Don't buy the cheapest thing out there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Normally you would expect 1% to 1 1/2% return on most mailings (?) which would be 10 to 15 leads per thousand, at $27 to $40 per lead. Which means to me pretty expensive leads.

Is that how you would figure it?

I'd like to get my lead cost down to $15 per up to $20 per lead. When I get that figured out on a consistent basis, I should be in good shape.

I gave up doing direct mailing in the senior market years ago. I really don't consider a direct mail piece a "lead". I call it a name, address and phone number that the agent just paid through the butt for. Direct Mail "leads" are way too expensive for what they are.

The agent pays the company say $350 to mail 1,000 post cards. Assume the mailing goes out today. In my experience it is at the very least two to three weeks, sometimes longer, before responses start coming in.

By the time the agent calls that "lead" the person has no recollection of ever having received the card let alone filling it out and sending it back. I have worked thousands of them and, with very few exceptions, has anyone ever said that they have been "waiting for my call" or even admitted to filling out the card.

After a list of 1,000 has been scrubbed there will be, in my experience, around 300 with phone numbers. Those numbers are a lot better than getting 15 "leads" back from a mailing. And, those 300 will "remember" having filled out the card just as often when you call as the 15 people who you got card back from. Do the math, 300 "leads" for the cost per thousand.

Working lists is all about the first 15 seconds of the phone call. Do it right and an agent can begin building an excellent "lead source" in a very short period of time.

I believe that when working the senior market there really isn't, again with very few exceptions, such a thing as a "cold" lead. "No longer at that address" and "no longer living" are "cold" leads. Every other name on the list is a viable prospect.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Yeah except you purchase the list with the mailing and call all of the "non-responders." You can set them as well. Maybe not quite as high percentage, but not too far down the road.

Maybe 50 calls 2, or 3 appointments. Book 6 per day and you'll have 7 out of 15 stand you up, forget whatever; you'll have 3, or 4 purchase a product and you'll have three, or four interesting conversations. People never cease to amaze me. Its the law of large numbers.

How are you setting your appointments/ what are you saying when you call? I set an appointment for a specific day and time and very seldom get stood up. More often than not my appointments result in a sale.

When I first started I was told to call, tell the person I would be in their area on say Wednesday and to ask if I could stop by and drop off some information. I was told that if they said "yes" that was considered an appointment.

Didn't take me very long to realize that didn't work.

Last edited:
Back