Local Medicare offices not taking applications in person

azmedsupagent

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have had several clients tell me that when they went to their local social security office to apply for Medicare they were told that they will have to enroll over the phone or online and the rep scheduled a phone call appointment to complete the application for several weeks out rather than completing with app with them in person. In most cases the phone appointment is so far out its after their Medicare effective date.

Most of the seniors I work with are not comfortable with the confusing process of applying for Medicare on the SSA website and waiting to speak with a social security rep untill the week before or after their Part B effective date is unacceptable. How is everyone helping their T65 clients get signed up for Medicare?

If they are T65, I have them set up their online SSA account and then schedule a call with me. I walk them through it over the phone. Takes about 15 minutes, max.

If that's not an option, I would email them the Part B application, have the fill it out, put it in an envelope and drop it off at the local SSA office. They all have a drop box. And this is what I do for the ones who worked past their IEP, too, combined with the employer form.

The local offices can be reached via telephone directly. If you want to help them schedule a 3 way call- I have been doing this for years --pre pandemic.

So you can sign up on the phone with your local ss office ? I thought the person had to sign form 40 B ? Also when I look up the local office for social security it gives the National 1-800# . How do you get the local # ? Will they answer ?

I operate a little different than most of the agents on this forum. I have a physical office. I have 3 front office people that answer phones, push paper, etc. Yes, I still do ALL paper apps. When we get a T65 lead, we in person, face to face, help them create an online account, and, apply for Medicare. If you apply for Medicare online, it takes about a week to get your id #.

I operate a little different than most of the agents on this forum. I have a physical office. I have 3 front office people that answer phones, push paper, etc. Yes, I still do ALL paper apps. When we get a T65 lead, we in person, face to face, help them create an online account, and, apply for Medicare. If you apply for Medicare online, it takes about a week to get your id #.

What do you tell them when they want to apply to start receiving their SS benefit? Do you refer them back to SSA or do you also do that?

So you can sign up on the phone with your local ss office ? I thought the person had to sign form 40 B ? Also when I look up the local office for social security it gives the National 1-800# . How do you get the local # ? Will they answer ?

Go to ssa dot gov, scroll to the bottom > contact us > scroll to bottom > office locator > enter the zip

If they are T65, I have them set up their online SSA account and then schedule a call with me. I walk them through it over the phone. Takes about 15 minutes, max.

If that's not an option, I would email them the Part B application, have the fill it out, put it in an envelope and drop it off at the local SSA office. They all have a drop box. And this is what I do for the ones who worked past their IEP, too, combined with the employer form.
Yes, however It is my understanding based on reading CMS Form 40b that this form is for people who already have Medicare Part A. Infact the from specifically asks for the Medicare Number.

Also on CMS form 40b it specifically states "NOTE: If you do not have Part A, do not complete this form. Contact Social Security if you want to apply for Medicare for the first time."

So CMS form 40b can not be used to enroll a t65 IEP beneficiary into Medicare for the first time. So if not Form 40b, then what form are people using to enroll into Medicare for the first time? I have looked and I cant find a specific form available for this situation.

Attachments

• CMS-40B-EMay21.pdf
    73.9 KB · Views: 2
Caveat, not an agent.

I have stayed out of this because I am not an agent and my enrollment experiences are pre-pandemic.

I am commenting now because you all are not really responding well to op's post based on detail he provided.

Op is saying his potential clients are not comfortable using the computer. What he actually said was more like they were not comfortable with the online Medicare application process, but I think it is very iffy to be providing him any advice that requires computer use by clients.

As far as the phone is concerned, he did not say that SSA was unavailable by phone, he said that SS would not make any phone appointments with his clients to set up Medicare until immediately before or after their birthdays. and he is saying those are unreasonable delays (and could also adversely effect Medicare effective dates).

So the specific question I would offer from his original post is how do those people (his clients or potential clients) calling SS get more reasonable current appointment times for a future Medicare enrollment by telephone?

Back