Local volunteers recommending an insurance company?

I take a slightly different approach than Dayton. If they want F I make sure they understand how it works and give them some rates. When it appears they are ready to buy I say this.

Do you mind if I show you something almost all of my clients have? This may or may not be for you, but give me two minutes to explain a comparable plan with a lower premium. If you still want the F plan we can start the app.

No selling ever, but I do give them what they want and then circle back if they reject G.

Almost every time they buy G.

That's my way too. I don't want to just write the F and then be exposed to some other agent teaching them how much more G will save them. Teach them about both if they still want F, write the F.

It seems like I remember from other posts that ds4 and somarco have polar opposite selling environments. Would this be one of the things that allows the two different strategies to be effective for the person employing them?

I have no problem writing the G plan if that's what client comes in wanting. Problem I have is them telling people you have to go with the G plan because the F plan is going away in 2020 and you will be screwed. I agree the F Plan premium will go up if Part B deductible goes up but I also have many people on the G plan pissed because their Part B deductible went up and their premium went way up. I just don't believe in scare tactics to steal other agent's clients just to make a buck. Not how I like to do business because it will bite you in the butt in the end when they find out they could have kept their F plan like all their buddies.

It seems like I remember from other posts that ds4 and somarco have polar opposite selling environments. Would this be one of the things that allows the two different strategies to be effective for the person employing them?

The market you work changes your selling strategy. I mostly work T65. Yesterday, I had an appointment with a person on Medicare 7.01.17. He currently had a $4500 deductible plan($839/month).
He wanted Plan F because SHIP said F was the best. Plus, his friends had F.
So, $134/mo for Part B, Plan F for $124/mo, and, Part D for $17/mo. His 4 Rx's were all tier 1's. 90 day supplies for $0 copay.
This guy couldn't sign the paperwork fast enough!
In the years ahead, as his Plan F increases in Premium, I'll have some wiggle room for downgrades to either G or N.

I missed the T65 part in relation to markets. What you describe certainly sounds like a positive selling situation.

I thought I remembered a post about you working in a smaller town so I was thinking in terms of small town face 2 face vs statewide telephone.

When you speak of the "ship office" and others speak of "ship volunteers", I think the thing you are recognizing and some others may not be seeing, is that SHIP is just another part of the Medicare system which an insurance agent cannot change but has to understand, flow with and deal with.

(And if I'm understanding right, the CA birthday rule gives you some flexibility for downgrades that I probably wouldn't have were I selling medsupps here in KS.)

Last edited:
The Plan F vs Plan G argument will vary all over the US in terms of what plan offers a better value.
In my neck of the woods, my best price on a T65 for Plan F is $122.64/mo. For Plan G, $104.72/mo.
If someone comes into my office with Plan F already in his head, I write the app.
Of course, the spread between F & G varies elsewhere, just not in my selling area.

Not how I like to do business because it will bite you in the butt in the end when they find out they could have kept their F plan like all their buddies.

I have many clients that originally thought they wanted F because that is what their friends have. No problem, but when they find out about G they quickly change their mind.

No selling. Just educating.

Feedback is, "Why didn't someone else tell me about G?".

And then there is, "I can't believe all my friends still have F and are paying too much.".

If an agent is too much of a slacker to at least mention something other than F then I have no problem showing their clients the difference and letting them decide.

There is no reason to scare someone into changing, and certainly no reason to try and convince them that G is better. Most folks are intelligent enough to do the math and come to the conclusion on their own about which plan is right for them.

But they can only do that when they have the knowledge.

I also don't mind bowing out when the prospect wants to buy direct from a carrier or SHIP volunteer. Why waste my time trying to convince them my way might be better when their mind is made up? I don't have time for that nonsense.

We try to be friendly with the local SHIP volunteers. Most of the time they enroll seniors directly, but we manage to get one referred to us every so often. Leave it to the state and feds to take business away from the tax payers.

Just FYI, Plan F typically runs $30 more per month than G in Indiana.

Can you imagine walking on to a Chevrolet dealers lot with your mind already made up, and have the salesman try to talk you into something else? Won't happen. That salesman will lead you directly to the F & I guy.
Our local SHIP pushes the out of Plan F. I have people come into my office and state, " my friends and neighbors all have Plan F, so...that is what I want".
Do I try and explain that G is a better value? Hell no! I write the F app.

Could you come teach the local guys how to sell cars then? I swear, some are like agents on this forum. You walk in, tell them exactly what you want and they are so busy trying to show you the demo or last year's model they want to get rid of.

You get what you want by giving the customer what they want. Once you have some business on the books, then try to help them with what they really need.

Back