Loneliness....how do you deal with it?

John Siegal

Hi all,

I am a new health insurance agent. I am working with an IMO but they are not local. I get my leads from online sources...and make calls everyday from my home office. I talk to several people a day and take apps over the phone...but i've noticed an isolation aspect to this job that i haven't encountered in my other sales jobs.

My question is....how do independant agents deal with the isolation issue?

I have sold appliances and other tangible items for over 1 decade...but the isolation aspect of selling as an independant...is pretty tough.

I was thinking of joining an agency...but i want to maximize my income.

Any suggestions to conquer this feeling?

I prefer to stay home. My birds are here. I have found that it is difficult to achieve financial success working with others. Maybe someday I will find others I enjoy spending time with who can make a contribution to my life, instead of sucking me dry.

Meanwhile, there is always the forum.

I just created a social network through my association to deal with this issue - some of my members wanted to network around with other agents - right now we have most 200 signed up to the network. If you want more info just email me.

Go out for lunch and eat with strangers and start a conversation, cold call business owners, become a mentor for a kid, teach adults to read, join a prison ministry, volunteer at a local school, learn to fish and hunt, walk, exercise, go see your relatives, visit nursing homes, join a book club, visit a strip club, learn to shoot a pistol and hang out at the gun range, shoot skeet, grow a garden, work on a house for habitat for humanity.

You can always go out and sell. I am in the Senior Market so most of my stuff has to be face to face, but I cant imagine only being in the office...

I would not give up comp just to have some friends to work with.

I prefer to stay home. My birds are here. I have found that it is difficult to achieve financial success working with others. Maybe someday I will find others I enjoy spending time with who can make a contribution to my life, instead of sucking me dry.

Meanwhile, there is always the forum.

The Rabbi is right on the money. Spend some time on the forum, and you will realize that working by yourself is one of the best things. You can focus and eventually hire an assistant and have some sub agents and before you know it, you won't feel lonely for long. All of these people will be worrying the hell out of you. Take your assistant to lunch every now and then, fall in love, get married, so on and so forth. Next thing you know, you'll be dreaming about the good old days, when loneliness was your chief concern.

Back