Long term or Short term - Disability question

bebop86

Hello Need help- I currently am out on my companies short term dis. from 9/19-3/2020- I have to have another operation- My company switched out STD coverage to a new company who approved me for an additional STD- BUT-My company said that because I used up my 26 weeks of STD I now have to go on LTD even though their new STD carrier approve me- STD pays 100% salary- LTD pays only 60%- So is their a law or reason that I can not go on the STD with the new company??- Just trying to get ammunition to go back to my company with- thks for all the help

You stated that you are currently out of work on the Short term disability policy which was in place when you were injured and that the company has replaced that policy with a new carrier. the new carrier would be under no obligation to cover you since your disability claim was under the old policy. i don't think you have an option to do anything but go on LTD. How were you injured? what is the prognosis?

thks- the new STD already said they would cover but my company said I have to go long term
I am having back surgery nothing to do with work- thks

thks- the new STD already said they would cover but my company said I have to go long term
I am having back surgery nothing to do with work- thks
then the question is for your HR department. If the company allows 26 weeks of short term disability then that's the end of the discussion. you were granted the disability, you used your 26 weeks and now have to abide by the next step in order to keep your employment. Why has the surgery been delayed for the entire period?

thks for the response- I did have surgery but have to go in for another one- So my question then is why would my company care if I go long term or short term since they are both thru their dis. carrier- Just cant understand what the dif. would be to them- thks

thks for the response- I did have surgery but have to go in for another one- So my question then is why would my company care if I go long term or short term since they are both thru their dis. carrier- Just cant understand what the dif. would be to them- thks
A lot of people don't have short-term disability so at least you got your 6 months.

They are called short-term/long-term for a reason. Once your short-term runs out, your long term kicks in. Your company doesn't care but the insurance carrier who collected premiums based on experience certainly does. Even with the switching of insurance companies, they're not going to let you exceed what their guidelines state.

One reason why long-term disability doesn't pay 100% is to incentivize you to go back to work.

What does your company handbook say about short term disability? I am positive it says that they grant 26 weeks or 6 months of STD and then switch over to LTD. There is no ammunition to take back to HR. A wise person once told me that 60% of my salary was much better than 100% of nothing. i would get in writing that your job is secure for when you return to work. It may not be in the same position but you would have a job

guys thanks so much- so another question- would the 60% be based on what I was getting with the short term just 60% of it or do they refigure it- since I am on commission obviously I did not make alot last year as i was out and when I went on short term in Sept they paid me 100% of my full 2018 income- I would assume that stays the same but I just get 60 % of what I was getting on the short terem????- again thanks for the help

Yeah, what Fed Up said. Also your company's web site might have the policy documents that explain the limits, but if you're not fairly familiar with insurance-speak the HR folks might be your best bet.

Also: don't assume. Ask.

Back