Looking for a General Agency

Hello, I'm a former Farmers Agent. What is the a good general agency to join. way too many choices. thanks for your replies

Depends on your focus.....
Appalachian underwriters, Burns & Wilcox, and RPS are big ones. However, there are some real good local MGA's that should not be ignored.

I'm contracted with app und and i like that their products range from preferred to non admitted. They still can't be your only mga, but they do cover a lot of territory. Friendly folks too and responsive. I submitted a piece of business for Lexington about 4 or 5 Wednesday and had a response 9:30 Thursday. They typically firm quote direct select (preferred) business same day, averages about 4 hours. Much quicker than superior access, only thing i don't like is they don't provide CLUE or MVR, so if the quote comes back higher or declined you are left guessing as to why.

So many former farmers agents why?

I've gotten Blue Vase/Silver subsidy/Ran to daylight first 6 months...

Is there something I need to know that's bad with Farmers?

I love Farmers. With them in CA, but licensed in 24 states and counting and need other avenues for writing business for personal lines, primarily new home purchases in those non-resident states, which I can cross-sell and bundle the auto and umbrella at a later date. I just started using SuperiorAccess, but don't like the huge monthly fee or the commission split. I have access to insurance noodle through farmers owned-operated general agency, Kraft Lake, but real slow on quote turn-around, except for the phone quote option through USLI. I've looked at Appalachian Underwriters and Smart Choice and have heard good and bad things. I am appointed with Burns/Wilcox, Tapco, and few others. Any other GA's or Wholesalers to suggest?

What happened to MetLife ga? You were pretty hot on the no-touch option they had earlier this year. Did they stop that altogether, or did the brutal split finally get the better of you? App und still has the simplest overall experience, but they only want REALLY clean business, can't build a book with them alone.
Smart choice smart start has some different carriers all the other wholesalers dont, which is interesting. Do they charge a monthly access FWIW I'm focusing on iiab eagle program right now. No additional uw restrictions like wholesalers have, and you only have to use their underwriters for a handful of apps before they get you an appointment. Not many carriers with them, but once you get one preferred I've heard the others come knocking. I've already got another carrier rep visiting my office who is pretty much waiting on me getting the travelers appointment just so they aren't the first.

Last edited:
Still using MetLifeGA, in specific states or to refer some business, but they only contact the client once and I have to help do the follow-up. So if I have to do that and help the GA sell the policy, then I want a better split on the commission.

Back