Looking for a General Agent!

runawaykinms

Expert
Looking for a General Agent/Mentor!

Hello Everyone,

I have done a lot of research and I am getting really excited about getting into the insurance business. After looking at a few factors I want to get my P&C License first and then later add H&L.

Based on my initial research it looks like to be an independant agent with no previous expierience, most carriers will not accept you. Therefore, I am looking for a general agent/mentor who would be willing to help me until I am able to get appointed by several carriers.

I am located in Central Virginia.

1. Anyone interested in helping me out?

2. How does this partnership work? What are the terms to consider between the different agents? As far as the terms go, I am thinking of things like commisions I pay them, and if I will be able to have ownership/keep my clients after I am sufficient on my own.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:
Re: Looking for a General Agent/Mentor!

1. Anyone interested in helping me out?

2. How does this partnership work? What are the terms to consider between the different agents? As far as the terms go, I am thinking of things like commisions I pay them, and if I will be able to have ownership/keep my clients after I am sufficient on my own.

Thanks,

Matt

This is pertinent to my interests as well. When I do a Google search for GAs in Missouri, I get results on everything except a GA in Missouri :no:.

Good luck to you drcarroll!

Since this post, I have searched and searched and have pretty much struck out. I have yet to find anyone besides the big companies: Insurance noodle, smartchoice, agent secure, superior access and SIAA to help with P&C.

None of the companies mentioned above really fit my interest/needs. Therefore, I have now decided to ditch the P&C side for now and focus on just H&L which seems to be a lot easier to find some help.

If you have any luck, I would love to hear about it. :)

Matt

As a 25 year Vet your idea of a GA for P&C is a fantasy. The P&C business is a local game with territorial protection for the independent agents. To break in you would have to give up 30-45% of the commission to a company like Iroquois Group or SIAA. You will also compromise on the ownership of the business. Getting a better deal will be tough.

In P&C your best bet is to work for a solid local independent agency, however, it will probably be in the commercial market. Auto/Home is for the clerical staff to deal with in most agencies. In time, you will make your contacts within the P&C companies and may be able to get a contract with a company. Your best bet is to build a solid book of business and buy into the company you are hired into.

I started in L/A&H and went to P&C in my 5th year and it was a blessing. L/A&H "if you make" with good training, prepares you for strong needs based selling and makes you a better P&C agent.

Look at the L/A&H first and get your training. An agent constantly trains in marketing and salesmanship. If you don't, you are doomed to fail within 5 years.

TwiLightFinancial.com

Back