Looking for a Mentor in Group Health Insurance

JayIvy

Expert
Hello,

I live & do business in California.

After being the top producer at 2 different insurance companies for a few years, I finally started my own Health Insurance Agency In June of 2010.

I sold a lot of IFP business the first 6 months. I have the IFP side down pretty well, but I am of course open to criticism and ideas.

I would love to meet someone who is successful in the group health insurance side of the business, to mentor me and show me the ropes. I have a few great strategies to help company's with their benefits. I find the hardest part is the marketing and getting the appointments.

If there is anyone out there looking to Mentor an eager individual who is hungry to learn. Please let me know. I have found that it has been hard to find a mentor who has already been successful in this business. Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Looking for a Mentor

What kind of strategies have you thought of?

Finding a mentor in this business is difficult without working for them.

Marketing is what this business is all about. Anyone can sell a policy to a qualified buyer. This job should be called "prospecting insurance" instead of "selling insurance". Eighty percent of your time will be "marketing".

If you were the agent you described that you are looking for what would be your incentive to help a "new guy"?

I doubt that you are going to find the person you describe. That is unless you offer to compensate them for their time. If you do, be prepared to pay dearly for it.

A couple of things.
First, I agree with what the others have posted.
Second, you may want to post where in the country you are. My guess is you are in California, and you may want someone close.
Third, your issue is the same with all of us. If you have, as you say, a few great strategies, then you should not have any problems opening doors.

To Answer your questions. There would be no incentive for me, except for the self gratification of knowing that I helped someone become successful and made a major impact in their life.

If I was very successful In my Health Insurance Agency, and I met an agent who was new, and really wanted to learn, If they were actually serous about it. I would love to mentor them.

I would love to pass on my knowledge and help someone else be successful in this business after I have already done it. I always knew that when I do become successful, I would want to find someone who really wants to learn.

The only Dilemma is, I have to become successful first lol.

I know you doubt what I'm describing. I will agree with you that it is not easy finding a mentor. But I will continue to look

Marketing is what this business is all about. Anyone can sell a policy to a qualified buyer. This job should be called "prospecting insurance" instead of "selling insurance". Eighty percent of your time will be "marketing".

If you were the agent you described that you are looking for what would be your incentive to help a "new guy"?

I doubt that you are going to find the person you describe. That is unless you offer to compensate them for their time. If you do, be prepared to pay dearly for it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Yes I live In California. Sorry for not mentioning it.

Where do you live in California?
Where do you live in California?

yes I live in California. Sorry forgetting to mention it.
I

Last edited:

To Answer your questions. There would be no incentive for me, except for the self gratification of knowing that I helped someone become successful and made a major impact in their life.

If I was very successful In my Health Insurance Agency, and I met an agent who was new, and really wanted to learn, If they were actually serous about it. I would love to mentor them.

I would love to pass on my knowledge and help someone else be successful in this business after I have already done it. I always knew that when I do become successful, I would want to find someone who really wants to learn.

The only Dilemma is, I have to become successful first lol.

I know you doubt what I'm describing. I will agree with you that it is not easy finding a mentor. But I will continue to look

I agree with you, don't doubt you and your attitude is commendable. I have been trying to do that ever since I joined the board. Yes, I do charge, in a way, for in depth training to sell Med Supps but I have also spent many, many hours on the phone and responding to posts in hopes of helping agents get started just for the satisfaction of it. I find it very gratifying.

There are agents like the kind you are looking for, the only question is how long is it going to take you to find one.

I suggest you contact HealthAgent, he has an association, IHIAA, that might be exactly what you are looking for.

My understanding is that mentoring usually winds up being beneficial for both parties.

Why don't you go to work at a successful agency, where the owner can mentor you, handle the back end of quoting, administrative task, etc. I work at an agency with 750 groups, most of them written by the owner.

I do a LOT of cold calling, no magic bullet.

Why don't you go to work at a successful agency, where the owner can mentor you, handle the back end of quoting, administrative task, etc. I work at an agency with 750 groups, most of them written by the owner.

I do a LOT of cold calling, no magic bullet.

He has experience working in an agency. He wants a mentor to help teach him how to be successful running an agency.

Latest posts

Back