Looking for a Term Life Insurance Company

You need to talk to a knowledgeable, local agent. The thought process you are using is only making your decision more confusing and mostly a waste of time.

You need to talk to a knowledgeable, local agent. The thought process you are using is only making your decision more confusing and mostly a waste of time.

^This. The agent doesn't really need to be local, but you need to talk to someone who knows what they're doing and is independent. NYL and Geico's rates will be much higher than other companies. You can certainly pay extra to have a company with a top financial rating, but would you spend 50% more to have an A++ rated company instead of an A+? Probably not...

You really need to just pick an agent, tell them your situation, and listen to their advice. The value of an agent is distilling down all the information out there and presenting it in a manner you can understand.

You are wasting your time researching, talk to a couple agents that are calling you and ask them what companies they represent. Tell them up front you are only interested in Term.

I've done alot of reading. And had read alot of warnings to watch out for things. I do like doing my research before hand instead of relying on everything from someone who is trying to sell me something. That is one way I found out about term life insurance and to watch out for someone trying to sell whole life or something and promising high returns that are not likely to happen.

I don't know of any local agents. Other than your typical insurance companies. But I'm sure they'd all tell me they are the best, etc.

Just real worried as banks are/were failing. Not sure of the status or future status of life insurance companies. I think picking a life insurance company is more important than picking car insurance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks. I'm just cautious relying on all my info that is provided from someone trying to sell me something. Wouldn’t there be things to watch out for? I’ve read of things like to watch out being promised high returns on things like whole life insurance, etc.

I quit going to car dealers to buy cars since the salesmen were always trying pull something over on me, etc. So, just real cautious dealing with salesmen in general.

Ditto what dgoldenz said. Talk to an agent, not a salesman. If you don't want whole life, don't buy it. Personally, I like it, but I lead with term because that is what most people can afford and need. The beauty of whole life isn't its high returns, it is the stability of the product.

And really, there is no such thing as the best insurance company, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. But talk to an agent, tell them you want term, and see what happens. There is no need to over analysis this.

Make sure you talk to an independent agent and not a captive one. A captive agent only represents the one company they work for so they will try to sell you their product. An independent agent will work with, not for, many companies to find the best product for what you want and need.

I would ask VolAgent for their number. Call and talk. I don't know him but he is a respected member of this forum and has been so for a while. He has helped a lot of other agents.

Last edited:
I've done alot of reading. And had read alot of warnings to watch out for things.

The only thing to watch out for is an agent pushing their agenda rather than helping you understand and solve your problems.

I read a lot about health care but it does not make me a doctor.

I'm just cautious relying on all my info that is provided from someone trying to sell me something.

Never trust a doctor. They are just trying to sell you on some expensive treatment.

Again, all this study and reading is a total waste of your time. If you don't feel like you can trust an agent then go online and buy the cheapest plan from an AAA+ carrier.

You will probably pay more than needed, and won't get the kind of advice or coverage you need, but at least you will have a sense of satisfaction that you have done it your way.

If term is what you want. Term is what you should buy. There are options in term policies that may not seem important today, however, could become very important tomorrow. Conversion being one of the top options.

My suggestion is talk to Volagent or dgoldenz. Both are independent and I would do business with either of them.

Lee

I was looking at getting life insurance on someone in their 50's. From what I've read. Looks like I want term life insurance of 20 or 30 years. Looks like the term life is the cheapest and is clear cut in that your rates don't increase during your term. And you get payed out the full value of the policy if the policy holder passes away during the term. I'm new to life insurance.

I am looking for recommendations on a life insurance company. My understanding is you want a company at AA+ or AAA. I'm not sure who to go with. New York Life seems to get the best ratings, but I haven't gotten a quote from them yet. The places Geico uses has good prices from my quotes I got, but know nothing of the companies. Which are different when you get different quotes.

I've filled out quotes here and there. But then the phone rings every day with someone trying to sell life insurance because I had submitted in a quote. A little overwhelming. So, I figured I'd get it narrowed down to the best companies to concentrate on.

Oh, and are there government guarantees on life insurance policies in the state of TN? Just would hate to pay 10+ years for the company to end up closing up and I lose my policy.

Back