Looking for advice as a captive agent

Jjasonr

Hi all,

I’d like to ask for opinions on how I can improve myself as an agent. My background and education has nothing to do with finance or insurance. In fact, I kind of fell into the profession after my previous company closed its doors.

I affiliated with Liberty National Life as a captive agent 5 years ago as a primarily business-to-business agent and have had a good level of success. I have a nice group of accounts that I personally closed and enroll as well as a decent stream of residuals. (We fully vest after 10 years with the company).

With that background out of the way, I’ll come to my point: I want to do more. Currently our offerings include term, whole life, group term, guaranteed issue modified life, and cancer/critical/accident insurance. My problem is that I’m wholly self-taught on how to uncover a client’s needs and how to offer coverage. Our company provides “needs planners” which focus heavily on pushing our permanent life insurance since our term is dramatically overpriced.

The issue is that I am able to gain people’s trust easily and they readily buy from me. But I feel like I’m just giving them my “best guess” on what is appropriate given their situation. I want to be better. I constantly educate myself on whatever I can find that relates to our products, but I don’t feel like a true “insurance professional.” We have no ongoing training and even our CE is basically automated with no real personal or professional development.

I don’t have any delusions that I will ever be a financial advisor or a CPA or anything that requires a different degree, but I do want to be the best agent I can be within my own lane.

I’ve rambled a bit so I’ll try to put it in a nutshell:

1) Does anyone have advice on the best resources I can use to become a better, more professional agent?

2) As a captive agent, is there any other type of product I can sell that is not offered by my company? And if so, how do I go about getting authorized to do so?

3) Does anyone have thoughts on the company I work with? (Liberty National). I ask because it seems the business is focused more on churning new agents for their contacts than it is creating long-term, professional agents.

4) Does anyone have recommendations for other companies I may look into given my background and desire to grow professionally?

I know these are rudimentary questions compared to most of the discussions I see on this forum. But even 5 years in, I feel like I’m still a newbie and would appreciate any advice from people who have made a career in insurance.

Thanks so much.

Hi all,

I’d like to ask for opinions on how I can improve myself as an agent. My background and education has nothing to do with finance or insurance. In fact, I kind of fell into the profession after my previous company closed its doors.

I affiliated with Liberty National Life as a captive agent 5 years ago as a primarily business-to-business agent and have had a good level of success. I have a nice group of accounts that I personally closed and enroll as well as a decent stream of residuals. (We fully vest after 10 years with the company).

With that background out of the way, I’ll come to my point: I want to do more. Currently our offerings include term, whole life, group term, guaranteed issue modified life, and cancer/critical/accident insurance. My problem is that I’m wholly self-taught on how to uncover a client’s needs and how to offer coverage. Our company provides “needs planners” which focus heavily on pushing our permanent life insurance since our term is dramatically overpriced.

The issue is that I am able to gain people’s trust easily and they readily buy from me. But I feel like I’m just giving them my “best guess” on what is appropriate given their situation. I want to be better. I constantly educate myself on whatever I can find that relates to our products, but I don’t feel like a true “insurance professional.” We have no ongoing training and even our CE is basically automated with no real personal or professional development.

I don’t have any delusions that I will ever be a financial advisor or a CPA or anything that requires a different degree, but I do want to be the best agent I can be within my own lane.

I’ve rambled a bit so I’ll try to put it in a nutshell:

1) Does anyone have advice on the best resources I can use to become a better, more professional agent?

2) As a captive agent, is there any other type of product I can sell that is not offered by my company? And if so, how do I go about getting authorized to do so?

3) Does anyone have thoughts on the company I work with? (Liberty National). I ask because it seems the business is focused more on churning new agents for their contacts than it is creating long-term, professional agents.

4) Does anyone have recommendations for other companies I may look into given my background and desire to grow professionally?

I know these are rudimentary questions compared to most of the discussions I see on this forum. But even 5 years in, I feel like I’m still a newbie and would appreciate any advice from people who have made a career in insurance.

Thanks so much.
Liberty National's a Torchmark company....enough said. :no:

Liberty National's a Torchmark company....enough said. :no:
Yeah...

I know the company has a pretty rough reputation. I have never seen any of the issues for myself: the claims are paid and the products do actually sell. But I know where there’s that much smoke, there’s fire somewhere.

With that said, I have made decent money since starting ($75k in first year, increased every year since) so I figure I can make a living this way. It’s even stronger given the low cost of living here. That said, what would you recommend someone in my position do?

I don’t think I’m a dummy, but somehow I’ve never been able to grasp what types of things I could move into given my experience and decent success. Basically, for whatever reason, I don’t possess the vision to see what else I can do.

Appreciate the reply.

Yeah...

I know the company has a pretty rough reputation. I have never seen any of the issues for myself: the claims are paid and the products do actually sell. But I know where there’s that much smoke, there’s fire somewhere.

With that said, I have made decent money since starting ($75k in first year, increased every year since) so I figure I can make a living this way. It’s even stronger given the low cost of living here. That said, what would you recommend someone in my position do?

I don’t think I’m a dummy, but somehow I’ve never been able to grasp what types of things I could move into given my experience and decent success. Basically, for whatever reason, I don’t possess the vision to see what else I can do.

Appreciate the reply.
I spent 16 years with Globe life as a captive. Torchmark ruined the company. I wish I would've left a lot sooner and gone Independent sooner than I did.

Since you've got experience, I recommend you go Independent. Captive companies pay sh*t commissions and don't allow you to offer the best coverage for the buck. You're limited to what LN has to offer and I guarantee you that as an Independent Agent you can always beat what LN has.:yes:

I spent 16 years with Globe life as a captive. Torchmark ruined the company. I wish I would've left a lot sooner and gone Independent sooner than I did.

Since you've got experience, I recommend you go Independent. Captive companies pay sh*t commissions and don't allow you to offer the best coverage for the buck. You're limited to what LN has to offer and I guarantee you that as an Independent Agent you can always beat what LN has.:yes:
Once again, thanks for the reply!

When you say “go independent,” does that mean obtaining a broker license? Once again, as much as I try to educate myself on products and the needs of my customers, I don’t know much about the insurance field (or the opportunities therein) outside of Liberty.

Once again, thanks for the reply!

When you say “go independent,” does that mean obtaining a broker license? Once again, as much as I try to educate myself on products and the needs of my customers, I don’t know much about the insurance field (or the opportunities therein) outside of Liberty.
Independent means that you get your contracts through an FMO/IMO. Personally, I don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket, so I have my contracts spread out with a bunch of FMO's. You might start looking with Todd King on the Forum. He's knowledgeable and a straight shooter. :yes:

https://insurance-forums.com/community/members/todd-king.3501/

Awesome.

I’ll start checking Mr. King’s posts to see how much I can learn and hopefully avoid asking already-covered questions.

Once again, thanks!

Back