Looking for advice calling current clients

fredbull337

Expert
Here is the scenario...I currently own a P&C book with about 1700 clients and we are adding about 60-70 new ones each month. I am the only licensed life and health agent in our office. Our primary focus is in the homeowners market and the majority of our referrals come from mortgage brokers. Because of the way our business is we might be lucky if we actually meet 5% of our clients as most of the time quote and bind requests come in from the mortgage loan officers and or their processors.

I have studied in the past under numerous Ohio National agents as well as a few MM agents, so I have a pretty good understanding of some of the sales methods. I attended a General Agent seminar for ON a few years ago and the first speaker was the CEO. He said the problem with the life insurance industry is no one calls on people about their life insurance anymore. Trust me I totally get it. And for the past few years I have made myself believe that I was too busy to call people.

2018 I am ready to stop running for my weaknesses and start turning them into strengths. Another thing going for me is that I was able to partner with a local financial planning firm that allows me to get series 6 licensed (primarily for compensation purposes) while they handle all the paper work, compliance, etc. I just have to put them in front of clients.

I guess the advice I am looking for is, based off what I have to offer, to basically an untapped prospect pool, what should my phone script be? I have noticed that people are much more willing to talk about investments and financial planning than they are life insurance. Earlier this year we had some post cards designed to send out to new clients to welcome them to our agency (since we most likely have not met them) as well as some for existing clients to try and get them to come in and review their homeowners policy.

So my first thought is to scrap the post card expense, and just pick up the phone. For the new clients introduce myself as the owner of the agency, congratulate them on the purchase of their new home, etc. Is there a casual way that I could mention the other services we can provide them?

And for the existing clients, some that have been on the books for the last 3 years, what would you say to them to get them to come in?

It is extremely frustrating to basically have so much potential going to waste and not be able to get out of my own way. I really want to be great when it comes to selling life insurance! When someone actually comes in my office i could talk to them all day long and not only establish a friendship outside of 9-5, but I will most likely also be able to sell some sort of life policy (depending on their situation.) The problem is getting them in my office. In the past I have pumped myself up for 20 minutes to pick up the phone, and then "make myself" remember to respond to this email, or do something else. I am 150% committed to changing this in 2018.

P.S. I didnt post this to get the "stop being a sissy and pick up the phone" responses. I know that is the answer to all the problems, but any help in developing a script would be greatly appreciated! Also sorry for the super long post!

Thanks in advance!

Primary focus is homeowner insurance? "Pick up the phone" at renewal and tell the policy holders that you were reviewing their policy and you noticed that they're not covered for mortgage cancelation. They will say "what's that, or huh?" Then ask them "If you died yesterday would your family benefit by having the mortgage paid off?" They will say yes, of course! I called 12 homeowner renewal policies last week and scheduled seven appointments...
Also, use this word track when you're writing new business too!

The most effective way I found to sell life insurance is to call on renewals and shortly after new business. I find Monday and Tuesday evenings are the best time to reach out.

I would have a form confirming the clients contact information and also ask their current profession and what company they work for at the end.

I would start by saying, "Hello, I was reaching out because your renewal is coming up and I wanted to confirm the contact information we have in our system as well as go over any questions you may have regarding the coverage or the renewal itself. Do you have a few minutes available?"

Then go through their contact information and at the end, inform them that not many customers are aware that in addition to home and auto insurance, you offer life insurance and financial products and you could review their needs to get them life insurance with-in their budget if they had some time available in the next week or two.

If they're not interested at all then don't be pushy and move on since life insurance is a volume game and you're better off maximizing the opportunities with interested clients than rubbing clients the wrong way by being over-aggressive if they are not interested.

If they want to go over life insurance, set an appointment and if they answer when you call and give you the time to review, it means they are interested. Do a full life needs analysis and explain to them that most people cannot afford to solve their full need, but show them a whole life quote for the full amount of life insurance they need. Tell them that you have options for less insurance and that something is always better than nothing. I tell them that just because the best option may not be realistically in their budget, getting nothing is not the answer either.

Once you find a policy that seems to work with what they expect to pay then tell them the best way to confirm the accuracy of that quote is to do the application and get the medical results. In the worst case that something crazy and unexpected comes back in the medical then they will be refunded any down payment if they decided not to move forward, but at least you can work with them to find something that makes sense and is more accurate based on those results.

I would add to the above that showing them the cost of what they really need sets up for great follow-up leads.

For example, if they need a $750,000 whole life policy and could only afford a $200,000 term life policy then you could always go over conversion options or additional insurance policies in the following years as their budget increases over time.

Some good ideas. Personally, I do not go straight into long or complicated FNAs. Since you are talking to homeowners it is much more likely they have some coverage somewhere. I approach it more as offering a second opinion, verifying guarantees and verifying the beneficiaries are worded correctly. I am doing them a favor.

Some good ideas. Personally, I do not go straight into long or complicated FNAs. Since you are talking to homeowners it is much more likely they have some coverage somewhere. I approach it more as offering a second opinion, verifying guarantees and verifying the beneficiaries are worded correctly. I am doing them a favor.

I noticed the deployment flag as your profile picture. Tell your loved one(s) thank you for their service!

Back