Looking for Advice: I've Been Captive for 7 Yrs, Want to Go Indy

juancarrasquillo

Quick intro. Hello, my name is Juan. I am currently a multi-line sales rep for a State Farm agent in Western New York. Prior to that I was an auto sales rep with GEICO. I've had my P&C license for 7 years and my Life, Accident and Health for about a year.

I'm pretty unsatisfied with my current situation and I am thinking about a change. I left GEICO for State Farm because I felt like more of a fast food order taker then an insurance sales professional. I was really excited to come to State Farm. I was exciting to have the opportunity to actually sit down with clients and discuss their needs. I was excited to be able to pivot and multi-line products. I hooked up with an agent who was looking to grow his book by acquiring new business using internet leads. Everything seemed great to me. Sounds like a great idea! Sign me up! Well, lo and behold, basing your growth on internet leads is a poor idea. They developed a process and I have to follow it to a tee. There is no deviation. My entire job function is working internet auto leads. Not many other agents in the area staff a full time sales rep dedicated to auto leads and now it's looking more and more like it won't be financially viable to keep me on the staff full time. I never realized the raw deal State Farm agents are getting until I found this forum. Now the entire picture is starting to become clear.

So long story short, I’m looking to jump off the State Farm train and become an independent agent. My goal is to have my own agency. I’m looking to you, the pros, the grizzled veterans to steer me in the right direction. I realize I can’t make my own agency materialize overnight, so what do you suggest my first step is? Should I try to hook up with a local independent agency? Should I look to buy someone’s book? Where would I even find someone looking to sell? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Back