Looking For Good Life Carrier To Sell

emeryholiday

Very, very new independent agent here. Full disclosure: Life insurance is not now, and 99% sure will not be going forward, a core part of my focus. However, I want to get an appointment with a good life carrier to write a handful of term policies on myself, family members AND maybe a close friend or two that ask for it. (And yes my E&O covers life sales) So my questions are:
  • What carriers have good term products?
  • What carriers offer average or better than market commissions? (And what do those comp structures look like?)
  • Is there a carrier that will work direct, rather than having to go through a BGA or MGA? I doubt a BGA wants to hassle with me over a few policies?
  • What carriers will let me write a few policies and not terminate my contract in subsequent years for lack of production. (I know an agent that got appointed with John Hancock, wrote a policy on himself and then was terminated for lack of production....I assume he lost out on renewal commission at that point)
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Mutual won't terminate you for lack of production. Not a bad company to have especially for the number of different products they have available to sell.

I would contract you if you like, just give me a shout.

Mutual won't terminate you for lack of production. Not a bad company to have especially for the number of different products they have available to sell.

I would contract you if you like, just give me a shout.

Hi is that Mass Mutual or Mutual of Omaha that you are referring to? Also, I went to your website and it looks like you are an MGA is that right?

It's Mutual of Omaha. Yes, I am a marketer for many companies.

Can you help me understand the opportunity a little better? It looks like a producer can go through you, a BGA, to sell Mutual of Omaha products. Or they can go through the company direct? It this correct?

What advantage would a producer have by going through you or another MGA as opposed to getting appointed directly with the carrier. Keep in mind, we are talking about a low volume life producer.

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can you help me understand the opportunity a little better? It looks like a producer can go through you, a BGA, to sell Mutual of Omaha products. Or they can go through the company direct? It this correct?

What advantage would a producer have by going through you or another MGA as opposed to getting appointed directly with the carrier. Keep in mind, we are talking about a low volume life producer.

If I may. The huge advantage is you get Todd. A guy that has a vested interested in helping you. He will give you more time and help than you will get from some marketing guy at a home office. You also have a guy that knows the other companies their products and underwriting.

For someone like yourself that just wants to dabble in Life Insurance it should be a no brainer. Add to that, that you will get at least the same commission rate, if not higher going through an MGA. One company is not going to be the best fit for you, your wife, kids or your best friends.

Just my 2 cents.

I 2nd what Wino said. On top of that, many times I can give you a better contract than going straight to the company. For instance, with Mutual's Mortgage term, the commissions I give are crazy high!!

Back