Looking for individual Short Term Disability Insurance

oliviajenkins

Hello
I am in North Carolina..and I am PRN (less than part time) at a hospital that I work at...I do not get any benefits... So I have to buy everything on my own... When I had my son I had STD with Uninum Provident... it paid me a lump sum each month for the 3 months I took off for maternity leave... what I am looking for is a STD that I can buy as an individual that will cover maternity leave.. My place of employment now does not offer any benefits unless you are full time... does anyone know of a company that sells individual STD that covers maternity leave?

Thanks Olivia

I don't think it exists. If there were such a product they would need to have a huge waiting period, and even then, it probably wouldn't cover maternity. The adverse selection is simply too strong.

Only way that I know DI will pay on maternity is Dr's order of bedrest. Yet with the common 90 day elimination period that would make it unlikely for it to ever pay. You can buy the 30 day elimination period but, the price jumps significantly.

Only way that I know DI will pay on maternity is Dr's order of bedrest. Yet with the common 90 day elimination period that would make it unlikely for it to ever pay. You can buy the 30 day elimination period but, the price jumps significantly.

You are thinking of LTD. Group STD usually has an elimination period of 1-2 weeks and will pay for maternity. 6 weeks is pretty standard payment for regular maternity, but I think there are a few states where the law says 8. Of course, for a bed-rest patient, the short-term DI lasts until needed or until the usual 180 day max.

For these group plans, most companies have a minimum number needed, and very high participation requirements.

You are thinking of LTD. Group STD usually has an elimination period of 1-2 weeks and will pay for maternity. 6 weeks is pretty standard payment for regular maternity, but I think there are a few states where the law says 8. Of course, for a bed-rest patient, the short-term DI lasts until needed or until the usual 180 day max.

For these group plans, most companies have a minimum number needed, and very high participation requirements.

Yes, I didn't read the entire post, you are 100% correct.

I often wonder who wants to buy STD and why?

Probably the same people who want to buy individual health when they are sick?

I can't imagine any way to sell individual STD without sky high rates and to make a profit. I am sure there are very good reasons there generally is no individual STD market.

Group short term disability would work best for pregnancy and maternity leave, but it does not answer the original question - she is not eligible for group benefits.

Individual disability sold direct will not cover maternity for the reasons stated above. Individual STD sold through worksite marketing is the only option. The employee pays the premium through payroll deduction and contract employees are eligible for coverage.

Back