Looking for Info from CURRENT/RECENT Combined Insurance Agents

I am getting ready to interview for a sales position with Combined Insurance.

This forum has mostly adverse information about Combined, but a lot of that information is a year old and older.

The same goes for most of the info I've found doing GOOGLE searches, but I did read a few entries that indicate Combined has changed the way they recruit, train, treat new agents.

Can any current or recent Combined agent speak to this? Any/all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Looking for Info from CURRENT/RECENT Combined Insurance Agent

Not to be mean, but...

Do you think they have suddenly changed business practices in a year, that suddenly they did a complete 180? Companies that large don't suddenly change.

Not to be mean, but...

Do you think they have suddenly changed business practices in a year, that suddenly they did a complete 180? Companies that large don't suddenly change.

Not at all, and I appreciate your point on this.

I would just like to hear from an current/recent Combined agent that can explain what changes, if any have been made and whether or not the changes have been effective.

I will ask a lot of questions in the interview, and certainly will want to address some of the more negative characterizations I've read about.

I am just trying to be as informed as I can.

I will be interviewing with a Combined Territory Manager this coming Thursday.

I really would like to hear from anyone that can give me some current/recent info regarding this company.

All I can find on this forum are posts several years old that indicate great training, but not so good on everything else.

Any info would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

If you want to work for one of the churn &burn outfits, check out American Income Life. Before you decide to go with Combined, you really need to take a look at their products thru an impartial agent, they used to sell what was always referred to me as junk insurance. There are a lot of questions that the territory manager cannot answer for you in an unbiased manner, of course he has the best products, training, support, etc. in the insurance business. Great training if you want to sell vacs., books, pots and pans door to door. t hall

OK, here goes. I am an ex-AGLA debit agent. Debit from like 15-20 years ago. In like 2005 I think, I think that's right, maybe not, but let us say it's been a few years ago- I somehow got hooked up with Combined. I think it was because their local office was near this taco place here in TX and I struck up a conversation with a guy in there and he was a Combined agent.

Actually, let us backtrack: if you go back to the 80's, some of my first experiences seeing agents out there working {besides myself} was seeing Combined agents. When I sold med supps and then when I worked for Mutual of Omaha, the Combined agents out there sort of had a bad reputation as being bottom feeders and the negative stuff that goes with "debit" style insurance.

So, at any rate, in 2005 or so I decided to go for it, I had no other insurance job. I rode around with a mgr., it was very much like when I was a debit agent, he could collect premiums in cash, he tried to sell policies, it was ok. He did have the canned presentation down to a science.

But, when they sent me for training in Dallas, I got the willies, I left. I did not sit through the class. I got the feeling of being in a cult. I left out of there- like at 8:00 am sharp. Outta here.

So I guess I have no other experiences other than riding around for a day or two with a manager.

Here is my question! Are there any Combined success stories out there anywhere?

Here is my question! Are there any Combined success stories out there anywhere?

Succesful is relative to the organization. I was there for 9 years, started at 22yrs old in 1998, was a sales manager at 23, a branch at 27. Worked there 9 years total. It paid the bills, so I don't badmouth them too badly.

Wish I had went there for about 18 months and then went independent. Hope you have either no bills, or some savings to get through the learning curve. As a branch I hired 12-15 people a year, and if it was a good year 1 would last 12 months.

Everyone hypes combined for their training, but I feel sure you can get trained most anywhere and not go broke. If you decide to do it though, it'll make you appreciate any other job you might get!

I have just done 12k APV in a little over three weeks...training in chicago was great..ill learn here then move on
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If I sell 1200 tommorow ill have a 5k "Gold" week....I got lucky I was put with a manager that gives a **** and is a monster closer...yea we are limited in our line but there are literally thousands of combined clients out there to work for just a little more or get new face client referalls from..they love when we stop by and drop claim forms for the 50 bucks they get bac once a year for doin a wellness visit...that opens up alot of doors....and once u are in u show them our very well done cancer policy thats only about 40 bucks a month..like i said im havin fun, im workin with a guy on here to get me set up independent when i get sick of the prospecting...but if i keep doing 10k a month (unlikely) i wont be going anywhere...

Last edited:
Back