Looking for Licensed Maine Health Agent

Norwayguy

I have spent way too much time here.
5000 Post Club
Norway, ME
Hi,

I'm looking for some licensed Maine Health agents to refer business to. I have clients that fall off of there employers Group coverage and looking for someone or persons to refer them too. I do not write health insurance for those under 65.

NorwayGuy

ME is (I believe) a guaranteed issue, community rated state. Don't think you will find many folks working that market. The legislators have made it unfriendly to carriers and agents alike.

ME is (I believe) a guaranteed issue, community rated state. Don't think you will find many folks working that market. The legislators have made it unfriendly to carriers and agents alike.

Not to be flippant, but why do you think I was looking for someone. I have a health license but don't want to deal with this.

Isn't forum member "Winter" based in ME?

That would be the same Winter who says that the system is in such a state of disrepair that you can't even give a lead away because there is no one left to work with it, other than to refer the client to the Anthem BC/BS website. Otherwise you show a good client the best rates and they end out hating you.

I rest my case Your Honor.

Winter

I assume Anthem requires captive appointment unless you sell them a good story about some ridiculous production commitment?

That is basically correct. It is pretty much captive although not technically. They have some kind of an arrangement where if you demonstrate that more than 75% of your business is in health insurance already and commit to doing most of you business through them then they will consider you. But you have to consider that in a guaranteed issue state with extremely high premiums it doesnt get you much to be appointed with them (for the individual market anyway). Everyone pretty much knows that they have best rates (which are horrible compared to the rest of the country) so either the client can't afford it or if they can, since it is guaranteed issue, they just go to the website or 800 number and do it. Of course, they have the better rates because all the other carriers, with the exception of a little bit of Aetna and Mega business have left the state. Pretty much a monopoly.

As discussed in some other threads, I am not saying that in this type of environment that there is no individual agent business or commissions to be had. Only that it is a major, major game-changer and most agents aren't interested because they are trying to make a living rather than to prove that there is still business to be had in guaranteed issue states.

Winter

The bottom line is if the rates are thousands per month like other GI states, no one buys it anyhow. Yet they blame everyone but their own legislators who causes this mess.

Can you do a 1 man group in ME?

Can you do a 1 man group in ME?

Don't know. I am not in the health insurance business other than medicare for all the reasons discussed. One of the downsides of the environment is that you develop no knowledge and dont know others who have it because it just is not an individual agents game and all the tricks of the trade and strategies don't have as much of a place. And, for the reasons discussed you dont have much reason to learn the group business unless you are with Anthem or a little bit of Aetna. All the kinds of dialogue that you guys have here everyday just goes away. Guranteed issue is more of a paint by number world. There is not a lot of strategizing about rates and getting the best underwriting etc.

Winter

That is my experience as well which is why I was looking to refer to someone else. I do not want to deal in the under 65 health market

Back