Looking for Some Advice in my Situation....trying to Become Independent

Tphoran2005

Ok everyone so this is my first post after doing some reading and I basically need some help/advice.

I have my life, health and variable annuity license and have been selling in a call center setting since I got my license in March of 2012. I have mainly been selling under 65 individual major medical plans and indemnity plans during this time.

I feel like I'm ready to get started with working as an independent agent but I'm not sure what is the best agency to deal with in the under 65 space. I have seen bad things on here about HCO but they seemed to be a good fit for what I needed. I contacted Ritter based on the reviews on here but the representative said they only do Medicare supps when I contacted them.

I'm looking for the highest commission structure, I'm not so concerned with training and webinar a etc when it comes to choosing a company.

I feel like I could sit here and go on for days but I hope this helps explain my situation and any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

I would like to continue selling individual major medical as an independent agent. I would prefer to be able to offer clients a variety of major medical options as well as some add-ons to my clients. And yes I would prefer to continue to do phone sales as that has been my only experience. I'm simply looking for a better alternative to HCO for a similar service as far as the contracting with various carriers.

Whoever you end up going with, there are a few things you'll want to look out for when you're evaluating a new contracting source.

Make sure that the release policy is clearly defined upfront - as an independent agent, you should try not to get into situations where your independence is compromised. Relationships sour and better offers pop up, so have an exit strategy from the start.

Make sure that you'll be listed as the agent of record on your business. Your clients should actually be your clients. And your commissions should be your commissions - barring any weirdness with an LLC or advances, assigning your commissions to someone else is just a pointless way to put your money into someone else's hands. If you're getting advances from your upline (as opposed to getting advances directly from the carrier) then assignment makes sense, and if your agency situation requires it then it's okay. But aside from that, there are few good reasons to fill out an assignment form and no shortage of bad ones.

And if you're taking advances, whether they're from your upline or provided by the carrier, make sure you understand the chargeback and renewal policy.

Hope this helps you.

Back