Looking for Some Script Feedback

undisclosed

Expert
Just wanted to run my lasted script revision by you guys for some constructive criticism. I deal primarily with life insurance products and call from a list of married couples in my area.

“Hello, is this ____?

Hi, this is ____ with ____ here in ____. I won’t take much of your time, but could I have a moment to let you know why I’m calling?

Thanks, I’ll keep it short. Basically I work with people in the area to help them make sure they have the best plan in place to reach any financial goals they may have for their family.

I’d like to share some more information with you and find out if the type of work I do is something that your family would benefit from as well. It typically takes about 25 minutes and if you decide at any point that you’re not interested, that’s perfectly fine. There’s no pressure.

I just wanted to see if there’s a particular time of day that would be best for me to stop by…”

Thanks for the help!

Have you tried out this script? Do you get a lot of hang ups right after you ask if you can have a moment to tell them why you are calling? Because that's when I would say no and hang up. I think you are giving them too much of an opportunity to say no before you've had a chance to say anything about what you are offering.

I kind of expected the same thing to happen at first, but I’ve been using that line or some variation of it for over 6 months now and 99% of the time they let me continue. I feel like people appreciate me respecting the fact that they might be busy. I’m not saying no one ever hangs up on me, but they say yes first and then wait to make sure it is a cold call.

In fact, I’m meeting with a woman next week who responded with “we’re actually eating late so now isn’t a good time, but if you want to call back I’d be happy to hear your spiel.” That was around 8 on a Thursday so I called her the following Monday and set an appointment.

That's almost a mirror copy of my own script that I use with business owners.

My "hook" is more along the lines of "You know how... well, what I do is..."

I usually say "if you like it... Great! If you don't... no problem! I'm not a hard sell."

If & when you get hang-ups, you figure that you were nice, polite and professional... but they must either be a mean person, or they've got a lot of stress going on in their life right now and to just go onto the next name.

The short answer is you should visit FreeTelemarketingScripts.com and see what I've put up there in terms of mortgage protection as well as some of the other stuff.

The longer version is that you're breaking some key rules. One of the key things you want to do when you're telemarketing is within the first 7 seconds or so say "I'm calling you because..." If you use that as the framework for your script, you'll see you do much better. Another rule you're breaking is you're introducing yourself and to make it worse you're saying where you're from and what company you're with. None of that matters. The question their mind when they pick up the phone is "who is this and why are they calling me?" Who is this, isn't really ask who specifically, but is this someone I know or is it a telemarketer. If you're a telemarketer, they don't need to know your name, you can skip straight to the "why are they calling me" question.

Try this: Hi, how are you doing today? (I'm glad to hear that/sorry to hear that) I'm calling you because..." Starting your pitch that way will put you miles further in the right direction. There are specific reasons why it's a bad idea to ask who they are on a cold call and why I suggest the above approach and they're all based on five years of experience working with telemarketers.

Hope that helps.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In fact, I’m meeting with a woman next week who responded with “we’re actually eating late so now isn’t a good time, but if you want to call back I’d be happy to hear your spiel.” That was around 8 on a Thursday so I called her the following Monday and set an appointment.

If that's working in your area, you can always add "do you have a few minutes? after you state the "I'm calling you because...". Nice thing about that is if they say it's a bad time to talk you can always say "great, I'll be brief".

Last edited:
Just wanted to run my lasted script revision by you guys for some constructive criticism. I deal primarily with life insurance products and call from a list of married couples in my area.

“Hello, is this ____?

Hi, this is ____ with ____ here in ____. I won’t take much of your time, but could I have a moment to let you know why I’m calling?

Thanks, I’ll keep it short. Basically I work with people in the area to help them make sure they have the best plan in place to reach any financial goals they may have for their family.

I’d like to share some more information with you and find out if the type of work I do is something that your family would benefit from as well. It typically takes about 25 minutes and if you decide at any point that you’re not interested, that’s perfectly fine. There’s no pressure.

I just wanted to see if there’s a particular time of day that would be best for me to stop by…”

Thanks for the help!
"Hello, is this _____? gives them a perfect chance to say no. If it's an adult that answers, call them by their name and ask how they are doing. Try to build rapport instantly.

"I won’t take much of your time, but could I have a moment to let you know why I’m calling?/// "I’ll keep it short"///
Then you tell them it will take 25 minutes which isn't a moment. I would not put a time limit on your value proposition.

Have you tried out this script? Do you get a lot of hang ups right after you ask if you can have a moment to tell them why you are calling? Because that's when I would say no and hang up. I think you are giving them too much of an opportunity to say no before you've had a chance to say anything about what you are offering.

Melissa give him your script you put up the other day in a post. That one is a jewel. Quick and to the point.:yes:

I would add that the number of hangups you receive may also be a factor in who and where you are calling people. You'll probably get more hang-ups calling homes versus businesses.

"My name is DHK with XYZ insurance. Do you have a quick minute to talk?" If the answer is 'no' or 'is this a solicitation call'... you know where the conversation is going to turn and you know that you'll be off the phone with them soon so you can call the next name.

I have NO PROBLEM OR OBJECTION to allowing someone to 'say no'. I cannot force someone to listen, nor can I force someone to buy.

IMO, only an immature salesperson of the old school by-gone era will not allow someone the freedom to 'say no'.

I would add that the number of hangups you receive may also be a factor in who and where you are calling people. You'll probably get more hang-ups calling homes versus businesses.

"My name is DHK with XYZ insurance. Do you have a quick minute to talk?" If the answer is 'no' or 'is this a solicitation call'... you know where the conversation is going to turn and you know that you'll be off the phone with them soon so you can call the next name.

I have NO PROBLEM OR OBJECTION to allowing someone to 'say no'. I cannot force someone to listen, nor can I force someone to buy.

IMO, only an immature salesperson of the old school by-gone era will not allow someone the freedom to 'say no'.
To help avoid many hangups, have your business name pop up on prospect caller ID. If your business name is a good one, they will normally always pick up. When they see a random toll free number on their phone, they typically think it's a bill collector or an advertisement of some kind.

Script in head.....Script in heart.......script not on paper......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back