Looking For Tips: SEO For Insurance Agents

Ryan McNulty

As a new employee benefits broker, I was wondering what I could be doing to improve SEO for myself.

After doing a few hours of research I have gathered the following:

1. Content is king. The best way to improve my personal rankings in Google is to produce high quality content frequently. Not only is it important to post high quality and informative content, but the content needs to be backed by keyword research in order to rank for keywords I want to appear for in search results.
2. Once I have started to create content, I should begin link-building with said content in order to build backlinks to my own website/my brokerages website.
3. Ads can be costly, especially in the insurance industry. It seems that I should focus on organic SEO, as it is far less costly and can yield results long after I stop performing SEO consistently.

I know there is much more to SEO than what I just mentioned, but I felt like those were the 3 main points I continued to come across. I wanted to see what others in the industry thought and if there was anything I was missing and could be doing to improve my SEO.

Thank you all in advance!

Hey Ryan,

Coming from a fellow life/health broker, I've found that content has definitely been a major part of my efforts to appear at the top of Google. I recommend outsourcing the writing for your content as it will allow you to post more information on your site in shorter time.

Also be sure to make use of SEO tools that show you where backlinks are coming from and when they are found/lost. This way, you know what to target in the future for your campaign.

Let me know if this helps you out in the future.

Cheers!

Your points #1 and #2 are the majority of what you need to do for organic SEO.

To add, you also want your website to have a good UX and make sure that your content is written for your readers and not just for Google. "Write for people and not for robots" is one way to look at it.

You also want a fast website. Go for a lighter theme, minimize plugins, and don't go cheap on your hosting. This also helps your SEO.

Good luck.

Hey Ryan,

Coming from a fellow life/health broker, I've found that content has definitely been a major part of my efforts to appear at the top of Google. I recommend outsourcing the writing for your content as it will allow you to post more information on your site in shorter time.

Also be sure to make use of SEO tools that show you where backlinks are coming from and when they are found/lost. This way, you know what to target in the future for your campaign.

Cheers!

Are there any good freelance article writers that you would recommend?

Just do what Anthony Martin tells you to do for SEO:

Thanks David. This is why I got an influx of messages as if I don’t get enough...

Just kidding man it's all good :)

I genuinely feel terrible for so many folks right now who can't work because of the shutdown.

For that reason, I'll take a moment to respond to this thread because some of the info here is the opposite of helpful.

Hey Ryan,

Cheers!

Sorry bro but this is all wrong. Neither you nor anyone else is going to hire a copywriter who will produce content that will rank at the top of Google. It’s simply not going to happen.

There is a fallacy out there that you can hire some foreign writer who will produce all your content and then one day you’ll be raining in leads because you rank at the top of google for certain keywords.

This is a flat out myth.

Also, I have zero clue what you’re talking about regarding your comments about backlinks. It’s important to monitor your backlinks so if you lose one, you can reach out to the editor to see if they can restore the link. Outside of that, your backlink comment makes no sense at all.

Are there any good freelance article writers that you would recommend?

No there are no freelance writers you can hire who will make content that is on par with what’s necessary to compete in Google.

If you don’t do yourself, give up the idea of ranking in Google.

Content production cannot be outsourced.

The only exception to that rule is if you have tens of millions of dollars in funding like PolicyGenius does. If you look at their content, it is decent, but it’s far inferior to that of many other life insurance websites. But PolicyGenius wins because their domain authority is sky high due to how many thousands of backlinks they have from tons and tons of ultra-high authority websites.

For the rest of us who have to build a site without hundreds of millions in funding, content outsourcing is a myth. It will not work.

To the OP, what you said is basically right. Just do the work of creating amazing content while building links and eventually you’ll rank in Google. If you never stop doing those two things, your site will continually grow.

Back