Looking to Buy an independent agency - HELP!

I have been actively searching for an independent agency to purchase in Virginia or Maryland for the last 3 years. To date I have only come across two and one of the owners was not serious about selling. I have contacted business brokers and searched several websites but for some reason insurance agencies are very hard to find. Typically you don't hear about a sale until after it is finalized. If I were selling I would tell as many people as possible to try an get the best deal but I guess that's just me. If anyone knows a better approach or website please let me know.

Sales typically take place between local agencies that know eachother or to one of the large nationals that offer high multiples (B&B, Leavitt, USI, etc). If you want to get in on the pocket listings... you need to be involved in your local associations and actively cultivate relationships with agents that are nearing retirement age.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I would imagine when you buy an agency you lose a bunch of clients. Anyone have any experience with this?

Typical agencies in transition lose 20% but that depends on the make up of the book... Agencies doing large commercial are particularly vulnerable to losing big accounts during a transition.

Last edited:
Agencies4SaleListings.com doesn't currently have any listed in your target state, but you could keep checking back for future listings or post what you are looking for in their "Agencies Wanted" section.

Back