Looking to Go Independant in CA. Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

Hello ALL,

Want to start off by thanking everyone here for the service they provide to the professionals of our industry. You guys are amazing!!!

I got licensed last Nov for P&C as well as L&H with no previous insurance experience. I was referred to FARMERS by someone I trusted and is an agent with them. He talked up the on-boarding and support like it was bar none. So i jumped into it with both feet. Needless to say it didn't turn out that way. I found myself spending more time being resourceful to get my answers than actually selling due to their lack of involvement. Which is why I am here. Realizing that since I'm on my own pretty much, why not venture out and do it for myself at the same time not being the one trick pony that captivity turns you into.

I have little to no start up capitol as of now. I wanted to work out of home and get some GA appointments.

What are some of the BETTER and EASIER GA's to get appointed with in CA for personal and commercial lines in order to be aggressive in today's market? (looking for GA's that will support new agents and charge little to no fees for the appointment if possible)

Any help will be very much appreciated ;)

if you have no start up money and something as little as appointment fees are going to "nickle & dime you" I would definitely stay with Farmers until you can save up a bit of capital.

You don't want to go indy with no cash on hand. You should have at the minimum 2-3 months of cash to keep all your bills paid
and a bit of cash to invest in your business to getting started.

Not saying it can't be done, but your chances of success having no cash on hand is going to make it next to impossible.

Not saying it can't be done, but your chances of success having no cash on hand is going to make it next to impossible.[/quote]

My monthly expenses are very minimal and can be covered with what I have for at least 3 months.

I have all I need to run shop from home except E&O and Appointments.

My plan of attack is cold-calling and networking groups until I can get some cash to invest in lead buying, dialer, telemarketer.

Thanks for the advice, but the info I was looking for was in regards to getting appointed with a GA that is tolerant of new agents and is affordable or free...

Hello ALL,

Want to start off by thanking everyone here for the service they provide to the professionals of our industry. You guys are amazing!!!

I got licensed last Nov for P&C as well as L&H with no previous insurance experience. I was referred to FARMERS by someone I trusted and is an agent with them. He talked up the on-boarding and support like it was bar none. So i jumped into it with both feet. Needless to say it didn't turn out that way. I found myself spending more time being resourceful to get my answers than actually selling due to their lack of involvement. Which is why I am here. Realizing that since I'm on my own pretty much, why not venture out and do it for myself at the same time not being the one trick pony that captivity turns you into.

I have little to no start up capitol as of now. I wanted to work out of home and get some GA appointments.

What are some of the BETTER and EASIER GA's to get appointed with in CA for personal and commercial lines in order to be aggressive in today's market? (looking for GA's that will support new agents and charge little to no fees for the appointment if possible)

Any help will be very much appreciated ;)
Which part of CA are u at? LA or San francisco?

I am in Los Angeles. I am open to considering a position with an agency as a producer to gain the knowledge but believe I can figure it out the hard way.

Well shoot if I had more carriers in CA besides Kemper, FNIS, and Safeco, I'd bring you on. You'd never hear from me since I'm in NC :-p.

But you'll get it figured out. Underwriters are your friend, and so are other IA's. It might be good to start as a producer for a bit with a clause for owning your own book.

Well shoot if I had more carriers in CA besides Kemper, FNIS, and Safeco, I'd bring you on. You'd never hear from me since I'm in NC :-p.

But you'll get it figured out. Underwriters are your friend, and so are other IA's. It might be good to start as a producer for a bit with a clause for owning your own book.

Thanks for the reply. I have been entertaining that idea but its tough to find an agency that is willing to let you leave with your book, let alone even buy you out in some sort of way. I have spoken to several Indy's and they offer a ridiculously low commission split and they wont let you leave with your book.

Im willing to turn in my book for 2 years of solid guidance and follow through by a veteran Broker and learn the ropes. But don't want to be cheated either.

Good luck with the venture. Although new myself, I would go the producer route to gain the experience. I am starting the same way and am producing for an agency. However, I can only sell insurance part time due to the money issue, my "real" job pays the bills while I am trying to build a business. It is taking WAY too long, just like I was told here. So if you have some money set aside and can give it the three months to bust your tail to make it happen, more power to you.

Your Farmers situation sounds exactly like what I went through a couple years ago, but not really bitter about it because they introduced me to this awesome industry. Good luck!

Back