Looking to Learn at an Independent and Possibly them Out

FDML

Hello Everyone,
Looking for some advice. I've been in the industry a about a year and a half and started in L&H, which obviously didn't go so well. Someone sold me a bill of goods that I bought hook line and sinker. After an eye opening year, I decided to get my P&C. I signed on with a niche P&C company that allows me to sell outside of their market as long as I don't sell out of my home office where I work now.
I am looking to work for someone and learn the business more, for an IA owner who doesn't have an exit/succession strategy in place. I'm really hoping to do more commercial but realize that anyone who will take under their wing with the hopes of letting me take over their agency (buyout) while I build my own book, may be a stretch. I've been on agencyequities looking for books or agencies to approach but haven't had any luck. I guess I'm wondering how I would go about finding someone in that position who is close to retiring. FYI I am in Chicago IL.

Illinois is a great state for retail. Why don't you start your own agency and keep what's yours?

Finding partners is risky, the only person you can truly count on is yourself.

Hello Everyone,
Looking for some advice. I've been in the industry a about a year and a half and started in L&H, which obviously didn't go so well. Someone sold me a bill of goods that I bought hook line and sinker. After an eye opening year, I decided to get my P&C. I signed on with a niche P&C company that allows me to sell outside of their market as long as I don't sell out of my home office where I work now.
I am looking to work for someone and learn the business more, for an IA owner who doesn't have an exit/succession strategy in place. I'm really hoping to do more commercial but realize that anyone who will take under their wing with the hopes of letting me take over their agency (buyout) while I build my own book, may be a stretch. I've been on agencyequities looking for books or agencies to approach but haven't had any luck. I guess I'm wondering how I would go about finding someone in that position who is close to retiring. FYI I am in Chicago IL.

Nice...what's your niche?

Educational Community, and I realize that starting my own agency without really knowing enough to be dangerous is a recipe for disaster.

Hello Everyone,

OP, you got kinda of a strange setup. How does that work; "You can't sell out of your home office?" but you can sell outside of "their" (i'm assuming this is your companies office) office???

Can you explain further? Why can't you sell out of your office?

Yes I can sell out of my home office but only for this company. I cant sell any other P&C personal line out of my home office, I can be a producer for other companies but they'd prefer that I didn't. I can purchase other existing books, and can start another P&C company in another location.

Back