Looking to Move to a Different IMO - Utah

jutley

I would guess this information is on the forum somewhere, but I've been searching and reading for days and haven't found the specifics for my situation so I'll go ahead and ask!

I am a new Life & Health agent (9 months in) working for an agency in Utah that is contracted with a national IMO. I have been pretty successful thus far in my short 9 month career. While my manager is great and the training has been okay, overall I'm not happy with they way they run things and the many layers between me and the IMO and would like to go independent. I would like to do this sooner than later so I don't lose more residuals than I already will when I leave.

I have mainly focused on the senior market (Med Supp/Advantage, Final Expense, LTC, annuities, etc.) and I will likely continue that focus, but I've also sold term life to friends and family.

Here are the things I'm curious about:

• Which IMOs would you recommend for someone in my situation? I'm looking to maximize my commissions. Training is not a big concern as there are so many resources on the web and carrier websites.

• I am currently contracted with about 20 carriers. Will I be able to contract with those same companies through a new IMO when I leave or is there a waiting period before I can have those companies? This is definitely a concern of mine.

• What are the downsides (other than losing my residuals) to leaving and going independent.

Thanks in advance for any advice! This forum is a wealth of knowledge and I hope to be an active participant going forward.

I would guess this information is on the forum somewhere, but I've been searching and reading for days and haven't found the specifics for my situation so I'll go ahead and ask!

I am a new Life & Health agent (9 months in) working for an agency in Utah that is contracted with a national IMO. I have been pretty successful thus far in my short 9 month career. While my manager is great and the training has been okay, overall I'm not happy with they way they run things and the many layers between me and the IMO and would like to go independent. I would like to do this sooner than later so I don't lose more residuals than I already will when I leave.

I have mainly focused on the senior market (Med Supp/Advantage, Final Expense, LTC, annuities, etc.) and I will likely continue that focus, but I've also sold term life to friends and family.

• Which IMOs would you recommend for someone in my situation? I'm looking to maximize my commissions. Training is not a big concern as there are so many resources on the web and carrier websites.

• I am currently contracted with about 20 carriers. Will I be able to contract with those same companies through a new IMO when I leave or is there a waiting period before I can have those companies? This is definitely a concern of mine.

• What are the downsides (other than losing my residuals) to leaving and going independent.

Thanks in advance for any advice! This forum is a wealth of knowledge and I hope to be an active participant going forward.

I am traveling this week, and unavailable, but I will be back monday and am happy to give you some local guidance for Utah.

My advice is to choose IMOs based on product. Get a term IMO that is great at that (Jeff Root is a good one), Get an FE IMO that is great at that (Fex is one and there are others active on this forum too), Get a Med Sup IMO that does that (Chris Westfall is great at Med Sups), Go to an annuity IMO for those (Good one active here but I forget his name at the moment).

No one is great at everything. The jack of all trades IMOs are usually not great at anything. I'm a little biased but that's the way I see it.

Back